Spoofing becoming illegal

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by TraDaToR, Dec 6, 2012.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I am curious... Spoofing was so common before, do you guys know some people who recently found it "attractive" to relocate to countries that do not extradite people to the US?

#201     Nov 12, 2015
  2. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

3. nitro

nitro

#203     Nov 23, 2015
  4. i960

i960

I think over time we've now come to realize why spoofing has actually been cracked down upon so much: because it's taking money away from HFT entities who own the regulators and exchanges. Spoofing hurts HFT more than it hurts Joe Retail. Naturally the algos will change to try and detect spoofing but then spoofers will change their methodologies as well - essentially all methods being arb'ed out of each other until we're back to before.

#204     Nov 23, 2015
  5. tommo

tommo

Well said i960. That's exactly it. Spoofers only take money off of front running Algos.

Spoofers, although not exactly 'honest' in their intentions, are like a parasite that keeps something clean.

#205     Nov 23, 2015
    Ghost_of_Blotto, i960 and d08 like this.
  6. panzerman

panzerman

It would seem to me that if there was a minimal (and possibly random) time period that orders must remain valid on the books, that both spoofing and HFT would largely dry up. If that happened, I'm still undecided if that would be good or bad for the US financial system.

#206     Nov 23, 2015
  7. d08

d08

You nailed it, this is easily solvable with realistic and robust rules but due to bribery and corruption, only the small guys will be prosecuted. Look at the puny sums most are dealing with, Coscia said to have taken in $1.4 mln, pathetic.
    This is what happens when you don't pay off the right people, I suppose.

#207     Nov 23, 2015
  8. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

#208     Feb 12, 2016
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

When you don't have a trading edge, you have to stick with what you are good at....

#209     Feb 12, 2016
  10. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Perhaps he needs to learn about risk/reward. No amount of money is worth the time he will spend in jail ...

#210     Feb 12, 2016