Sponsorship in Minnesota(Series 3)

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Ialwayslearn, Jun 11, 2008.

1. A friend is looking for a person or firm in Minnesota that will co-sponsor him for his series 3.

Basically he needs an address to use in Minnesota where he lives.

The firm he is working with is in Houston, TX. But, he is required to have a resident firm or person sponsor him.

He will compensate anyone who may help.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. He has to give an answer to the NFA by Monday June 16th.

PM me if you feel this is more appropriate.

2. Are you absolutely sure that the NFA is requiring some sort of "sponsorship" for the Series 3???

Last time I had that license, I took it ( on two different occasions, passing it on both times, 1993 and 1998 ) on my own, and then filing with the NFA as a CTA.

Yearly dues were $100 to keep it intact.
    There was no need for sponsorship whatsoever.

3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

What your asking is for some to commit fraud, they would be unwise to do it. Also, as the last poster pointed out you do not need a sponsor for a series 3, or at least you did not when I took it (2002)

4. Whoa whoa!

At the risk of looking like an @ss myself, I asked him exactly what and how I should word the original question.
    I took what he said and put it above. (I will admit, I don't know all the details of the licensing or the various issues involved)

From what I understand, he needs a co-sponsorship for one year from a resident person or firm.

To me it seems like a formality, but I may be undoubtly wrong.

I am interested in the post regarding "fraud."

If you would, please tell me a bit more as I assumed this was a simple thing, but if not, I would like to be educated as to the reality of this request.

Thanks again. (This is not my specialty)

5. I would think, basically that saying you would be a sponsor for someone you have no clue about, and is not involved in any of your business, but you sponsor would be fraud. I don't think it's that hard to understand. Also, I would guess you are putting your own registration at risk on someone you don't know. Also, as Brandon pointed out, I didn't think the 3 needed a sponsor.
    On top of all this I would avoid giving an unknown any personal information they may need as that smells like a fishing scam.

6. For what it's worth, and I realize you don't know me from Adam, it's not a scam.

Here's the story....Several years ago he had two vehicles. He got his license plates for one and had not gotten the plates for the other after he moved from Wisconsin.

He needed to drive the one without plates so he put the plates from the one car in the back window of the other car. He got stopped and ticketed.

When he was asked about any misdemeanors on his application with the NFA, he answered no. He didn't realize the ticket he received 4 years ago had become or was a misdemeanor.

The NFA felt he was trying to hide this and said he would need an in-state co-sponsor for the first year because of this and afterwards he would be fine on his own.

(on a personal note, I perhaps, don't understand the whole sponsorship thing and what it truly means when you "sponsor" someone or the potential risks for the sponsor.)

Thanks for your posts!