Spinoffs

Discussion in 'Trading' started by praetorian2, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Hey,

I have been doing a lot of work and a lot of the best values I find are recent spinoffs where owners of the parent's stock get a few shares and they then just liquidate the position, hence the low valuation.

Is there a website that might track these spinoffs? I would appreciate any help from anyone on finding a way to track them. Thankyou in advance.

Harris:.

2. lescor

lescor

Yahoo finance's ipo page seems to list all stock issues. I check it each morning to see if there is anything of interest. Maybe some of the M&A sites like thedeal.com

Have you done any arbitrage trading in your fund, or have you looked into it? I've been doing statistical arb for a while now, but am starting to find some neat set ups based on fundamentals and valuations. Like you say, things can get whacked out of line from dumb sellers, and if you are patient, there is free money to be had.

3. Thanx, I see the IPO data. There is a lot of it. I was mainly just looking for data on stocks that were getting spun off. A lot of times everyone dumps something until it is crazy cheap.

Is there anywhere else where this data exists?

Thanx in advance.

4. Osiris

Osiris

Just curious, what sorts of Stat arbs are you doing Lescor? Also what types of arbitrage do you guys currently do?
    Do you find that the arb opportunities move very quickly? Also do you need a lot of screening power to find them?

Sorry for all the questions, but I was doing some related arb stuff last year and found that they moved awfully quickly, or that other issues would get in the way. Most on ET would likely make fun of me immediately if I said what it was though...hahaha....works for some but not for me. I am sticking to security markets for now.

That is why I am interested in arbs in the securities markets, but I have never actually done any :( ...Yet.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.