(SPI) Share Price Index futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by wdbaker, Dec 2, 2002.

1. wdbaker

wdbaker

All,
    I was going to trade the estx50 but getting up at midnight just is not tripping my trigger :D

Anyone trading this??? Liquidity??? Comparable at all to the s&p e-mini for daytrading??? Hours??? Ticks and Pts??? Symbols to use in E-signal and IB??? Margin??? Exchange???

Yes I could probably look all this up but since I don't see very much about it on ET and nothing really devoted to the subject, I thought it would be good to have it down for the record for others who may also be interested. If someone doesn't show up with the info I will eventually look it all up and post it for the record, the part I can't post though is your experience with this futures index.

Please tell me what you think about trading the SPI

Thanks for your sharing your vast wisdom
    wdbaker

2. def

def Sponsor

symbol in IB = SPI
    exchange = sydney futures exchange (SNFE at IB)
    web site: http://www.sfe.com.au/
    multiplier = 25 AUD
    liquid - yes - usually 1 to 2 ticks wide (ticks in dollar increments)

good to trade? not bad

hours: 9:30-12:30, 2:00-4:30 Sydney time
    after hours as well (IB doesn't currently offer after hours trading but plans to do so in the near future)

We are market makers in the options and thus will leave others to comment on how their experience.

3. wdbaker

wdbaker

def,
    That is a good start, now hopefully the others will pitch in with some of their experiences.

Thanks
    wdbaker

4. wdbaker

wdbaker

Bump ! ! !

5. I've been trading this market for years. It can be very wild and unpredictable, probably much harder to trade than US and euro stock indices. If you want to daytrade, I think the Hang Seng might be better.

Best thing to do would be to spend some time watching it and see if you like how it trades.

6. wdbaker

wdbaker

zentrader,
    Any other Ideas for this time frame? I guess esignal doesn't have data for this.

wdbaker

7. Zentrader is right. It can be a difficult market to trade at times.

If you scalp it can be OK but it doesn't trend as well as the US or European market.

It opens 10 minutes before the cash market, and tends to be incredibly volatile for the first 10 minutes.

Using a 30 minute breakout method for your morning trades is a good idea as the SPI tends to either continue the overnight trend in the US, or whip back and counter trend against it.

If it continues the US overnight move past the first thirty minutes it will tend to keep going for another hour or so

If it counter trends the US market it will counter trend for another hour or so. It will then return with the primary trend after lunch.

This market tends to have very clear turning points that occur like clockwork.

These are 10.20, 10.45, 11.45, 2.30, 3.30, 4.00 and 4.20 Australian eastern standard time.

Volume tends to be a very good predictive indicator for short term trading.

I have found that the direction of the breakout from the first 10 minutes tends to predict the final direction for the day with about 60% accuracy. However it will stop you out too many times if you used this indicator alone. It is good for deciding whether to fade the market in the afternoon.

Avoid the lunchtime period completely. There is no liquidity at all.

Esignal do not as yet have a feed for this contract however I contacted them recently and they said they may add it in the next 12 months or so if their is sufficient demand.

You can use IB data with sierra chart.

Runningbear

8. wdbaker

wdbaker

Thanks All,
    This is exactly the kind of information that I was hoping for and now others will be able to share and add to this in the future regarding the SPI.

I'll watch the SPI when I get home from work for a while.
    wdbaker