Spelling and Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Arthur Deco, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Cos they caint shpell wortha shit!

Obviously.

#11     Jan 22, 2009
  2. nickdes

nickdes

Well written, however you seam to be bitter.

In light of this revelation, may you stand guard always too administer swift justice two those hear, those that would dare use improper spelling within this form!

Ewe are the right man four the job!

#12     Jan 22, 2009
  3. Most guardians of the public morals ARE bitter old men.

#13     Jan 22, 2009
  4. "guidence"

At least it wasn't "guidunce".

#14     Jan 22, 2009
  5. These spelling threads seem to be all the rage:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showt...=6&highlight=thunderdog spelling&pagenumber=1

I applaud your fine effort, Dr. Deco. My only disagreement with you is in your reference to the curse of a classical education. In fact, the basic spelling mistakes and errors in grammar perpetrated by the language terrorists on this site could have easily been thwarted had they paid any attention in grade school, and well before they ever entered high school. But that was not to be. In fact, I suspect that several of the mugs and bad haircuts who frequent this site actually wear their functional illiteracy as a badge of honor, with their younger brethren priding themselves in their mobility despite wearing their trousers half way down their butt. (This folly of wearing trousers at half-mast should be the topic of your next thread: "Say no to crack.")

#15     Jan 22, 2009
  6. M. Chien-qui-Tonne, my profoundest apologies. I somehow missed your thread, perhaps while I was temporarily deceased. If ET had a feature to subscribe to posters rather than only to threads, I surely would follow your footsteps. And Jack's, too, of course, no disrespect intended to you. I heartily concur with your post!

#16     Jan 22, 2009
  7. This is not a very accurate representation of an individuals' competency in any one area. Can I assume that the op is highly skilled in every facet of life? If not it must be b/c he can't do xyz proficiently.

I understand your point and it may hold true in some instances, and not only for spelling, but I think it's a poor generalization. Besides, one needs to dumb themselves down to trade effectively :)

#17     Jan 22, 2009
  8. Poor orthography in a native speaker is inexcusable. It is lazy and shows disrespect for mankind's most precious invention after language itself, the written word. When I see someone here who purports to be a trading expert and he can't even spell correctly, I know there is something amiss.

Those who know me will recall that I am priapic about a certain sub-culture here, whose leader long ago tripped himself up with the likes of "guasian" (for gaussian) and "Jokari" (for Johari). Such errors betray a cavalier casualness about detail that belies claims of expertness. In fact, it implies dilettanteism.

Spelling is basic, like arithmetic and composition.

#18     Jan 22, 2009
  9. That would explain a lot of the behavior here at ET. Evidently, we are in the presence of greatness, particularly in the Politics & Religion forum.

#19     Jan 22, 2009
  10. I can definitely spell better than I can trade. My grammar and punctuation isn't too good though.

I've known some English teachers that could spell lots of words, but they were general dumb asses in almost every other way. I've also known a couple of intellectual "writers" that were too dumb to realize that their books sucked and no one would read them, let alone buy them.

#20     Jan 22, 2009