speeding up firefox

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by oraclewizard77, Sep 25, 2009.

1. AdBlockPlus did make a difference, it now loads my home page much faster. Now with the config tweaks and AdBlockPlus, I think we have now a better and faster browser than chrome.

#11     Oct 1, 2009
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

If you really want to speed up your internet browsing experience, dual boot Ubuntu. Here is FF on Ubuntu:

[​IMG]

..and on Windows XP:

[​IMG]

..on the same laptop.

#12     Oct 1, 2009
  3. People argue all day about the merits of the various browsers. In my recent experience, on Windows, Chrome has been best all-around.

A close second is Opera10, which has several nice features and is tight and stable. A handy feature - you can optionally devote a bit of real estate at the top of the browser to thumbnails of currently-open tabs, as in this screenshot from my machine - http://i33.tinypic.com/2d2c0fc.png

Longstanding complaints about Ffox are: crashiness and memory leakiness. Also IE8 is an atrocious memory pig. Safari on Windows is better, but I've had some odd crashes - not sure if my machine, or a general problem.

#13     Oct 1, 2009
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

True but it is offtopic. The question was how to speed up a certain browser. The fastest version is having it on Ubuntu*, end of story. :)

P.S.: Chrome doesn't exist for Linux,yet. (but will be called Chromium)

* You don't even need to install it, if you use the Ubuntu CD and run it from there, it is STILL faster than running it on Windows.

#14     Oct 1, 2009
  5. It does, but still in some sort of alpha state. I have tried it and was not at all impressed, though that may just reflect its stage of development.

#15     Oct 1, 2009
  6. Without too many "add-ons".... and with Adblock, FlashBlock, Firetune, SmarterFox, SpeedyFox... Firefox is almost instantaneous for most websites. (No Squint slows rendering down a bit, as each page has to be rescaled.... fraction of a second is all.)

#16     Oct 1, 2009
  7. Having tweaked FF as per the suggestions, also using Adblock and Flashblock, I can't see any browser being quicker than my FF is right now. Pages are loading instantly. Any improvements from now on will be very hard to notice. I have tried it on lots of websites, especially ones that I know are normally slow to load and it is pretty much the same across the board. :D

Thanks to the thread starter for the tweaks.

#17     Oct 1, 2009
  8. That's pretty amazing. Although, I assume if you are already getting close to what your provider advertises (via XP), there won't be such a significant improvement.:(

#18     Oct 1, 2009
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, special note: I don't think speedtest.net is very accurate but I guess we can use it for comparison of the same computer or household.

Here is FF on Vista with a newer faster laptop.(With Adblock. Without it it is 1 Mbps slower):

[​IMG]

As you can see it is faster than the older, slower laptop with Ubuntu. Now the same laptop with Opera 10:

[​IMG]

#19     Oct 1, 2009
  10. me too! works better! thanks to the OP! :D

#20     Oct 1, 2009