speed when cost is no object

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by basis, Nov 5, 2006.

1. basis

basis

Who offers the absolute fastest connectivity in the business? Price data, order entry, etc.?

Right now I know of Red Sky, Lime, and Genesis. Are there others?

2. I think they are lacking the executions?

3. Why do I get the impression Antonio, that "Quanthouse" is simply a renaming (makeover) of one of your egregiously overpriced software products.. that you continually pimp here on ET?

Are you still a paying advertiser? No, I know you're not. Go back to your snake-pit pal.

-kt

4. kjsnow25

kjsnow25

he is looking for data feed as well as executions. There are plenty of places that claim to offe rlow latency data. The question was about data and trading, or execution. It's a good thread, let's keep it on track, shall we??

There is a lot of places that do this, but few do it well, and the costs are all over the map. It's a discussion worth having, and it really depends on your needs and trading styles as to who is "best"

Kepp it on track, this place can be helpful......

5. basis

basis

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, and perhaps a "starting point" would help.

I'm, shall we say, an expert with TT's software, and the speed is nowhere near what I want. Although I've only used 7.x, not 6.x. Partially this is TT's fault, partially not. Because they provide a single API to all exchanges, they add a layer of abstraction to the communications between exchanges. In my opinion, they don't do this particularly well.

I'm looking for roundtrip messaging in the 1ms range, for futures and stocks. I don't care how much it costs, I just want it FAST and RELIABLE.

6. Frey

Frey

1ms roundtrip times from where? From your client to the exchange and back? If so, forget it.
    You can get < 1ms roundtrips if you colo at an exchange data center but then you need to route your order straight without passing any risk checks, etc. If you're really looking for that kind of connectivity you should not use any 3rd party ISV but connect to the exchanges directly from the closest routable point.

7. kjsnow25

kjsnow25

co-location at the exchanhe sounds good, but what if you want to reach more than one exchange? what if you want INET, ARCA, NYSE, BATS, and more? How would you go about co-loing and managing that whole thing?

I don't necessarily thin that co-lo at the exchange is best. There are brokers that specialize in connwectivity to all points.

In terms of latencies, 1 ms is not something you're going to find from server, out to ECN, and back, for round trip. The best technology out there can minimize thaose hops, not back up badly in times of massive balsting of orders (Open, Fed, economic releases, and close) so it's not jsut the ping. Same goes for data incoming. That needs to be managed and top of the line to act upon as well.

If you go to a broker insteead of co-lo, you're also looking at having compliance taken care of, server management/re-boots, etc. I'm not so sure co-lo is the best option all the time....

8. Frey

Frey

Colo is always going to be the fastest solution and that's what he seems to be after, it's most certainly not the most user friendly solution though :)
    Also, I'm assuming here that his order entry is all done automatically and not by hand because then the situation is a bit different.
    Maybe if you shed more light into what type of trading and products you're doing and how much you are willing to spend we can give a better answer to a topic like this. Also keep in mind that you also will have to get fast market data because without that the fastest execution won't help. So, you probably want to get raw exchange data, need to purchase a feed handler or build it yourself. If you purchase/lease you're looking at 10-20k per month for data alone

9. Frey

Frey

that's not necessarily true:

INET
    Pinging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=62

Ping statistics for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

... but that's the fastest I have, all other exchanges I connect to are in the 5-15ms range

10. kjsnow25

kjsnow25

I'm talking about out to INET, through their trading engine, and back. Internally the trade would reside in their engine, or ARCA, or DOT, or what have you....as part of that round trip.

Also, that has little to do with averages, or throughputs, etc. I hear you, though. I agree.

I can on;y speak for what I know and co-lo can be at a broker, and doesn't need to be AT the exchange, to minimize latencies, for an outomated strategy.

#10     Nov 6, 2006