Speed of Light

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Aug 9, 2003.

1. How do you know you know that statement ????
    Seems to me if you believe in a black hole, a bign bang theory that caused the universe.....how much more far fetched does an all mighty creator sound? Im a religious person and guess what?

My theory is just as good as yours on the creation and size of the universe..I can neither prove nor disprove the expanding universe nor the big bang theory.....and like wise you can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God and his role as the creator of all.

#81     Aug 13, 2003
  2. first of all, you don't know what i think. things suggest a big bang type event ocurred because it is detectable that things are moving a way from a center point. now maybe we're just part of one big bang and there's many others...maybe all of them are part of something larger. i'm not claiming that, but who knows. i don't claim to know. my point is, with science, you go with evidence and try to make a case better and better. with religion, it's just some bogus crap with people brainwashing their children some nonsense that can't be proven. they know it can't be proven, so they use some stupid concept called faith.

science rules, religion sucks. GET WITH THE PROGRAM, MAN.

#82     Aug 13, 2003
  3. were you molested as a young man? to have such an angry intolerance of religion....the fact that you have no faith does not bother me so why should it bother you so much that i do? ....regarding detectable things in the big bang theory, we may have a moving universe but we do not know what caused it to move...regarding evidence, theres more proof of a god then there is of a big bang theory. Jesus was his son and came to earth ...you may or may not agree that he was the son of god as he proclaimed but right there you have more evidence then a big bang.

#83     Aug 13, 2003
  4. At the source of everything, the two might be intimately linked. Most religions rely on faith while science relies on observation, hypothesis testing, confirmation and the ability to be repeated over and over.

If I drop a hammer, I know it will fall down due to gravity and from the knowledge I have acquired since childhood. If I had never taken a science course, I would still understand that gravity exists intuitively (through observation).

However, no science can prove that physical laws are grounded in something eternal. We'll wake up tomorrow and assume that we could fall out of bed it we roll over too much, but what law of physics states that physics itself cannot alter its own laws? How do we know that 1,000 years from now, the gravitational constant of the universe will be the same? How do we know if the speed of light will be a little slower or a little faster eons from now?

If everything that is observable through our senses is the universe around us, and if the universe is nothing but a set of binary YES/NO conditions at the very smallest quantum level, then perhaps there is something beyond the universe (we'll call it X) that allows the universe to contain physical laws.

Electrons and protons have physical characteristics. There is no such thing as different electrons -- it is an absolute. Whatever causes these fundamental particles to have their characteristics may be stored in a location outside the observable universe. If the universe is the software program, X is the hardware that it is running on. X could be in a domain equivalent to "god" or some metaphysical explanation for the world we live in.

You cannot knock religion simply because it is placed in faith. Everything we do is rooted in faith. There is no guarantee that some physical constant won't change a few seconds from now -- and if there is, that begs the question of what keeps all physical laws and physical components stable?

#84     Aug 13, 2003
  5. i see your head is filled with a lot of bogus crap and you also don't seem too knowledgeable about the universe. if you want to get as close as you can to the truth, you'll do it on your own; it isn't going to be because i tell you to. so i'm not going to debate with you anymore. start reading some science books and question your religious beliefs. and no, i've never been molested.

#85     Aug 13, 2003

6. Why are you so angry? We've been debating many theory and nobody is completely lined up in one way or another and all i was doing was raising some more questions which i believe makes these discussions even more complex and interesting...you start spouting off to me that religion sucks, i need to wake up ect....if you don't want to be part of the discussion, mosey along to another thread, but if you do, feel free to chime in and either bring up debate, prove or disprove your statements or others and enjoy, but you do sound really angry.

#86     Aug 13, 2003
  7. you've made an assumption that i'm angry. you have no idea if i'm angry or not. don't make assumptions.

#87     Aug 13, 2003

8. Didn't you say in a previous post to TM
    Isn't that an assumption? Pot Kettle Black?

#88     Aug 13, 2003

9. And i thought I was the only one who saw the irony...listen, shrewd, if you would like to continue raising questions and exchanging thoughts ect...im all for it...I don't feel like fighting or defending myself because really, im no good at tactful defense...i tend to flame people...but Im not here promoting my religious beliefs or defending them...Im raising questions that i find interesting when debating the universe and the laws of science...again, we can neither prove nro disprove the expansion of the universe or the big bang theory...and i found it ironic that the belief in a creator is similar....re: the big bang: If we assume there was one,what was there before that???? space cannot be created ...can it? doesn't that go against the laws of physics?

if you knock down a wall, you create more room, but there was finite space there to begin with correct??

#89     Aug 13, 2003
  10. Dear Entropy,

Better first read something about the history of mathematics. The noise you make on this board is dwarfed by the magnitude of your ignorance.

#90     Aug 13, 2003