Speed of Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ITR2744, Dec 8, 2008.

1. taodr

taodr

#11     Dec 9, 2008
  2. 1Mbps = 1000Kbps, so your ISP is telling you that max speed is 10000KBPS, which still isn't good for daytrading. call them up and ask if you can upgrade to 20Mbps or 30mbps

#12     Dec 9, 2008
  3. speedtest on cheap cable

#13     Dec 9, 2008
  4. Your data is virtually meaningless unless you indicate your location and the location of the server you were connecting to.

I get similar results via my Comcast Broadband connection as long as I stay "in-state" and on the Comcast network. As soon as you leave their network and hop on the Internet Superhighway, you are subjected to other people's networks and lines and various kinds of internet congestion which your carrier has absolutely no control over.

I would also suggest to people here that are concerned about "speed" to do a TRACE ROUTE ( via their DOS prompt ) to the server that they connect to for their quotes/trading.

Check out the latency over the hops.
    Anything getting above 100 ms reflects slowness.

#14     Dec 14, 2008
  5. In an emergency, you can just call IB customer service and they might help you as long as you send a little extra to the rep's private paypal account.

#15     Dec 14, 2008
  6. my speed
    [​IMG]

#16     Dec 14, 2008
  7. Sorry don't know how to copy the image in for my sppedtest, but my results are rather strange.

download: 34697 kb/s
    upload: 437 kb/s
    ping: 375 ms
    server: NY, NY

Why such the discrepency? I just ordered roadrunner this week to increase my speed from dsl but quite frankly the difference is neglible. Is there anything I can do to increase my upload speed and decrease my latency? Thanks.

#17     Dec 18, 2008
  8. your DL speed kicks ass.....like T3 speed....on the downside...upload speed is like a dialup. hmmmm....

#18     Dec 18, 2008
  9. Thats exactly what I thought. I'm in NYC, and this is the most recent version of roadrunner from timewarner. What do you have forsale? Also, the ping speed shows latency and that upload speed is deplorable. Which is more important for trading? Its nice that I get my quotes so fast, but I may as well pony express my orders in! Anyone have any ideas on how to improve this? I'm also looking to get a load balancing dual wan router to hopefully increase speed by using a dsl and cable line. thanks.

#19     Dec 18, 2008
  10. tried the speed.io site and got this

[​IMG]

#20     Dec 18, 2008