Speed Demon of Wireless Network Heads to Homes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cdntrader, Mar 2, 2003.

1. elindy.com , thanks for the clarifications :)

#11     Mar 10, 2003
  2. scJohn

scJohn

This site has real world testing of .a, .b and .G products. Also pretty understandable reporting on the status of the g standard. Read and draw your own conclusions.
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

#12     Mar 10, 2003
  3. I just bought a LinkSys WRT54G (wireless G broadband router mentioned above) and a WPC54G (laptop G card) for $59.99 combined at CompUSA. The guy knocked off $175 because I sent in two people to buy tablet PCs from him.

I will post how it works if anyone is interested.

#14     Apr 17, 2003
  4. please do.

#15     Apr 17, 2003
  5. might help drop down prices again for networking equipment.

#16     Apr 20, 2003
  6. Rs8.5

Rs8.5

I am about the most un-tech guy here I guess. Just use the stuff. Like I drive my car....don't know how it all works. But I do like to know how to operate it.

Reading what guys like Nitro and Aphie say about technology makes my head spin. And I know that I am still probably more knowledgeable than 99% of guys my age since I have used computers for a relatively long time (meaning I had to know some DOS).

Recently bought a laptop, and share a cable modem with my son. Do it with a Linksys "Wireless Access Point Router" (BEFW11S4) and a WPC11 Linksys Wireless PC card.

Everything seems to work perfectly now. But I felt like I was taking a gamble listening to the sales people. I saw the Linksys stuff at Best Buy for what I thought was half the price compared to Circuit City. I think I paid $80 for the router, and another 40 or 50 for the card. I wanted to get everything together, but (luckily as it turned out) Best Buy had no inventory of laptops. So as I worked my way across town, I ended up finding my laptop at Circuit City (Toshiba 2415 S205) for 1199 less $150 in rebates. Seemed like a good deal (still does, from prices I see on the web). But the Linksys stuff was double the price at CC, so I had to go back to BBY. Now when I said that I saw the lower price at BBY before leaving CC (with the laptop), they looked up on their computer what prices were at BBY. They told me that what I was talking about was NOT what I was gonna need. But I figured it was worth the ride back to BBY and took the chance. At CC they said I needed something different...(not sure...a bridge? something different anyway). Bottom line is, everything works great. So what was it they were trying to tell me I needed at Circuit City? And why? What is there beside the router I am using for the very clearly stated objectives I described...just to share a cable modem. Seemed simple! And also, when I got the thing configured (lots of on the phone walking through with Linksys...but worth the wait on hold, and struggling to understand the accents of everyone there) there seemed to be several ways to configure the thing. The support people were good, but not all equally knowledgeable. Had a few problems, and it took a few calls to a few different people there. One said that they did not do this on the phone, then it was something else they didn't do, and even one guy said that there was no way to get a second "dead" icon off my tray (which turned out to be a no brainer...except for a guy like me).

So now I have a few questions. They (Linksys) walked me through setting up a WEP connection (after a few reluctant service people who said it was up to me to do that...they didn't do phone support for that, and I should "read the manual" which is not a "manual" at all, but a fold out sheet. Amazingly little documentation. Same as I found with Windows XP and the Toshiba itself. Is this the new way of providing documentation? Everything on line or on the phone?

Then when everything got going smoothly, my cable modem started giving problems (adelphia). Of course, Adelphia blamed everything on Linksys, and vice versa. But finally things seem fine. (After waiting for the cable guy 3 times....and finally getting a new modem).

My questions are these. My son has his desktop hardwired to the router. I am wireless with my laptop. Why does my computer seem to get a faster connection to the internet than his does? (using Toast.net, Bandwidthplace, etc.?

What does "WEP" actually do for me?

My laptop has only 16 megs video memory. (NVDA Gforce 4 420), and my son's desktop has 64 megs (NVDA Gforce 4 MX 420). I can't see the difference, but my son, who plays online games (Everquest mostly) says my graphics are better. How is this possible? Or is he just doing a number on me in the hopes of me getting him another computer? (Not a chance...just got him the video card...still haven't gotten the rebate). Is it because of the processor? His is 600 mhz AMD, and mine is 2 gig P4-M ?

Also, being a teenager, he has gotten his hands all over the laptop. What is the best (easiest) way to clean his fingerprints off my screen?

Lastly, the CD/Burner (teac) on the laptop came with software called "Drag and Drop"...haven't had a lot of luck figuring it out. Looks like it should be easy, so I guess it's me. My son has a burner with Nero software, which looked easier, and he knows how to use it. So I tried to install it on the laptop, and it would not install (guess because it was only for his burner....like I can't put my XP on his computer). So I uninstalled the Nero (what parts got installed before it stopped), but it seems to be messing up my "Drag an Drop" software...either that, or the Dali Lama file I got from Optional777 from his signature....I don't know if my computer needs to be reformatted to get my burning software to work right, or what.....I have uninstalled and re-installed the "Drag and Drop" software and it seems that depending on "luck" it works, or doesn't. But for whatever reason, I still am seeing "Nero" files (I can change them by going to "properties". But it seems to like naming files "Nero" by default. Any easy fixes short of reformatting and reinstalling everything? I really don't want to do that, especially since I don't know how to backup my Outlook Express inbox and sent items folders. I know there's a way, but I would have to play around to find the right folders....they don't make it easy except for the address book. And I am not comfortable using the "Drag and Drop" to use the burner to backup anyway....that's the thing I am trying to "fix". Seems like depending on the very program I am not able to depend on to back up my hard drive is going about things a bit backwards.

Used the search function to see if there are any Nero files left on my computer, but came up empty.

Anyone familiar with "Drag and Drop" RW software? Tech support is on line, but no phone support (unless I want to call the far east). Is it a good program? Should I go buy a third party software program to burn CDs? Are there any good ones that are free that I can download? Can I use Window's Media Player 9? I see on the menu that it seems like it can do it...but if so, why do they install "Drag and Drop"? Why not just use WMP?

Sorry I could not make this more concise, but I really am confused about this stuff. Can't get comfortable with the OS (but I know I will....that is not a concern) or the burner which I KNOW is a useful thing if I can learn to use it....the laptop does have a floppy drive, but it seems like a pretty long method to use for backup. Also, on the RW discs (or any disks), it seems like I cannot add info to a disc once it has files on it....the program asks for a "valid" or "blank" disc...is this normal? Can't add to a disc that has anything on it?

Again, thanks for any help and any advice, and again, sorry I am such a technical dinosaur.

Peace,
    :)Rs8.5

#17     Apr 21, 2003
  7. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Well .... With all due respect to all the "expert" comments posted thus far .....

In fact, 11G should provide enhanced range in some cases and implementations due to the starting speed: that is at full signal you start well above the full signal 11b starting point of 11Mb/s.

To test this we actually replaced two of our local office site wireless networks and upgraded them from Netgear 11b systems to LinkSys 11G systems over the weekend. The results contradict the previous expert posts here: In fact, the 11G systems did result in improved range through common building obstacles: while the signals did attenuate just like 11b when they encountered obstacles, the speed stepdown was less so we now have better throughput in these two offices using 11G versus 11b.

#18     Apr 21, 2003
  8. Rs8.5

Rs8.5

PS:

why is it that according to Toast.Net, I am connecting faster on my wireless laptop and cable modem at faster speeds (on average) than I am on my T1 line at my office? I asked our tech guy, and he said it was because we were using one line for 40 guys, and were going to add another line, which would speed it up. But what about all my neighbors using the cable? I thought that was supposed to slow things down too?

Image Test Results

Loaded 434,315 bytes in 2.353 seconds from TOAST.net server.

33.6K Modem: 16-27K
    56K Modem: 34-45K
    ISDN/I-DSL: 100-120K
    Your throughput: 1477 K
    Cable/ADSL: 229-950K
    T1: 1078-1300K
    Kbps:

Return to Test Your Performance

???
    :)
    Rs7

#19     Apr 21, 2003
  9. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Both systems - the office T1 and the neighborrhood cable - can saturate: too many users and or too much bandwidth will degrade your throughput. Cable systems often saturate at different times of day than typical office systems. Another possibility is that in your particular neighborhood has not yet reached capacity at peak hours ....Either system may also have issues with its configuration or network management ....

#20     Apr 21, 2003