Speculative accounts are dumping gold and loading up on copper

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by dealmaker, Dec 12, 2016.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

2. java

java

Are speculators usually right?

3. Overnight

Overnight

Anyone with basic charting skills can see that "speculative accounts" are down on gold and copper is up. But what does that tell us about the FUTURE movement of those two?

Any insights?

4. dealmaker

dealmaker

Market Data

Index Last Chg
    Gold
    1,158.30 USD
    3:39pm EST
    Exp: Dec2016
    Copper
    2.59 USD
    1:59pm EST
    Crude Oil
    52.26 USD
    7:29pm EST

ADVERTISEMENT

5. I have never thought about this before, but I wonder if the consumption of metals is seasonal and the demand increases in the Spring and Summer....or if the demand is basically constant through the year.

6. prc117f

prc117f

I am loading up as well. Copper is going to skyrocket. I settled in physical and took delivery of of LBMA Good Delivery bars. The rest are taking up space in the Public storage rental warehouse.

shatteredx and DallasCowboysFan like this.
  7. I have never seen copper like that before.......nice.

8. How do we know that they are speculative and not based on legitimate supply and demand? If there was a genuine belief in the price of gold going down, wouldn't there be an equal number of PUT options on gold? In other words, the money spent on going long would now be spent going short.

Or is there evidence that more contracts are sold going LONG than SHORT?

But...I do agree that gold will be going down in the next 90 days, assuming nothing tragic and unforeseen happens.

9. dealmaker

dealmaker

This could be one explanation, physical gold is mostly traded by central banks and since they are long term holders and they don't care about fluctuations...

#10     Jan 7, 2017
    victorycountry likes this.