Spectre's Weight Loss Journal

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Spectre2007, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Intense exercise should act as something of an appetite suppressant. Regardless, you should be careful about what you eat. Personally, I love carbs, but too much of them, and especially the wrong kind, will nudge you down that slippery slope. Eat modest amounts of lean meat and a lot of vegetables/salad but be very circumspect about the dressing. No one ever got fat eating garden salad. Choose fruit for desert, but be more sparing with the fairly sweet tropical variety. Don't avoid fat in your diet, but don't go crazy looking for it either; it will find you. Try to get most of your your fats from plant sources. Regardless of the latest media reports, I'd still opt for low-fat dairy, preferring to remain on the safe side. Oh, and say goodbye to pop/sugary drinks forever; trust me, you'll get over it. Even pure fruit juices should be had sparingly.

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/preventive-medicine-different-year-same-best-diets.316811/

#21     Jan 10, 2018
    Spectre2007 likes this.
  2. Visaria

Visaria

Can you give some examples?

#22     Jan 10, 2018
  3. In my own case, I prefer walnuts, pumpkin seeds, almond butter, ground flaxseed. There will be some (saturated) fat in the lean meat, salmon, fat-reduced cheese and whole eggs I eat as well. I'm sure there are other foods, but those come to mind at the moment. The 2-3 cups of milk I have each day are skim, so they don't count.

If I recall correctly, and forgive me if I'm wrong, I think you prefer saturated fats. I know it has regained some popularity. Even so, the DASH diet still seems to be favored on balance by the majority of mainstream health professionals.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    #23     Jan 10, 2018
    Visaria and Spectre2007 like this.
  4. In my catabolic State, it’s hard to exercise, feel weak. I still manage to do 30 minutes to get body temp up and clear pores. Weights will be more challenging.

#24     Jan 10, 2018
  5. If you are indeed in a catabolic state, then you should not be doing any meaningful exercise. When you exercise, your go into breakdown, below baseline - catabolism. You then need to recover, go above baseline and into a state of anabolism. That is when you are recovered, refreshed and ready to have another meaningful bout of exercise. If you keep exercising too soon before you adequately recover, then you will just be digging a deeper hole for yourself. And the older you are, the bigger an issue this becomes since recovery takes longer. That's the theory. And it makes sense.

#25     Jan 10, 2018
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  6. Sounds like you're starving yourself and trying to exercise on top of that. Keep it up and you're headed for a trip to the ER. Been there, done that. Stop trying to make this an overnight event. Eat a well balanced diet and exercise/weight train vigorously 3-4 times per week. If you're losing more than 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per week, it's too much, too fast. You'll be the thinnest, most fit looking guy on the ER table. You will be malnourished, nutrient and mineral deficient, and your muscles will be weaker than when you started. Slow and steady wins the race.

#26     Jan 10, 2018
    Zodiac4u likes this.
  7. Visaria

Visaria

How do u know you are in a catabolic state?

#27     Jan 10, 2018
  8. Visaria

Visaria

Yeah...saturated fats are great...essential in hormone production.

No idea what DASH diet is....

Mainstream health pros tend to be fat and unhealthy.

#28     Jan 10, 2018
    Zodiac4u likes this.
  9. Visaria

Visaria

Disagree...the OP needs to lose fat as quickly as possible without losing muscle. Assuming he is say 30% bodyfat, fat loss of 5 pounds a week is possible. Don't go below 1200 calories, eat plenty of protein and fats and weight train 3 or 4x a week. No cardio!

#29     Jan 10, 2018
  10. What's possible and what should be done are two different things. From reading his posts he seems to be doing cardio and no weights, eating less than 1200 calories sometimes and not eating properly. Sure he can starve himself and do it much faster, but why. In the long run the overwhelming majority of these take it off fast diets fail.

#30     Jan 10, 2018
    Frederick Foresight likes this.