Specs for a comp used only for charting/data ?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by John47, Jul 18, 2009.

1. John47

John47

#11     Aug 7, 2009
  2. anna07

anna07

Ditto! I am in exactly your situation, and have been looking @ computers with Intel i7, the only difference is that i'm less computer savvy than you are.

I've been using one monitor to simultaneouly run about 8 streaming quotes, charts, etc., and it's been a REAL pain in the a**. I have 2 monitors, one a flat panel and one old CRB...I have no idea what specs are relevant to hooking up 2 monitors (possibly3)....extra RAM? Graphics cards? Any input re some CPU ideas and/or monitors would be greatly appreciated. I trade A LOT, so I need something really solid and very fast.

#12     Aug 7, 2009
  3. i7s are generally the fastest CPUs.

As for multiple monitors.... you should consider in the following order...

1. How many monitors will you eventually want to run on on this rig
    2. VGA, DVI, or both? ("Both" is not best)
    3. What video cards, compatible with each other and your mobo, will run the monitors you choose
    4. What mobo has the slots to accommodate those video cards...

As for RAM... If you're running WinXP, 2G of RAM is plenty. If you're running XP-64 or Vista-64, the more RAM the better (up to the limits of your mobo, of course)... 4G would be a good place to start.

If you're buying a new rig, suggest something with 2, PCIEx16 slots. (That easily accommodates 4-8 monitors.)... something with an x38, x58 mobo, or one which will accommodate a Xeon CPU, W3520 or faster. (Probably overkill, but it will be very fast.)

#13     Aug 8, 2009