Special Report: Tax time pushes some Americans to take a hike

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by sttrader, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

When I worked in Eastern Europe, I ran into quite a few Americans that had gone "off the reservation" in regards to taxes. They simply ignored the requirements - many because they knew where they worked reporting nothing to the IRS. If I were them, I'd also renounce.

In Russia, for instance, the flat tax rate was 13% (dont know if it still is). And that's if you get paid a "white" salary, not a black one that the authorities cannot track.

2. Bob111

Bob111

----In January 2001, Russia introduced a fairly dramatic reform of its personal income tax, becoming the first large economy to adopt a flat tax. The Tax Code of 2001 replaced a conventional progressive rate structure with a flat tax rate of 13 percent. Over the next year after the reform, while the Russian economy grew at almost 5% in real terms, revenues from the personal income tax increased by over 25% in real terms.----

http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/941

3. zdreg

zdreg

"If I were them, I'd also renounce. "
    why?
    are u sure they can get another passport?

4. Bob111

Bob111

exactly. if you are living abroad there is plenty of ways how to hide or reduce your income money earned over there. it is illegal,but how the hell irs would know about it? what's the point of giving up your citizenship? you know that they would never ever allow you to come back to US. even for a week. you will be treated as a traitor.Tsing Tao you know this, right?

5. zdreg

zdreg

right? that question is for the shoot from the hip tao

6. Bob111

Bob111

my bad zdreg
    fixed :p

7. Aok

Aok

8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Yes, I am sure.

9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Oh, no...can't come back. And why would they care about that, again? Most of them haven't been back in over a decade and could care less about the US.

#10     Apr 17, 2012