Special Offer

Discussion in 'Events' started by Brandonf, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. While I can not provide a track record for Tradingfrommainstreet.com, I will say this: I joined them about 8 months ago for a Managed Futures fund they opened. It was not impressive. I lost quite a bit of money (don't remember off hand, but I'd say between a 10 and 20% drawdown). Brandon seemed to invariably take small winners, and larger losers. Often days would go by with no trades whatsoever, and no explanation. Then maybe we'd get a letter saying, "Oh, by the way, Brandon was out of town for the last week, that's why there have been no trades..." All the while subscribers were paying (IIRC) $200/month just for his signals.

Eventually, it seemed to just dry out completely. Seems like Brandon found being pinned down to the factual results of his calls a little more than he could handle.

I read their newsletter from time to time. I think its mainly written by Toni. Very flashy with lots of charts, but she seems to have a 100% track record of calling every move the evening after it happened. The letters give no clue as to how one would actually have entered the trade, if Toni did or didn't etc. You would think she'd write something like: I took this here because of this... Or: I missed this one -- this is what I was thinking. That would be educational in my books.

I even spoke with Brandon on the phone. To me, he was more impressive in writing than he was once I spoke to him. He's a good writer, and knows how to write what traders like to hear. Read his threads here: Tradings a business, here's how I prepare, sitting on my hands, blah blah. Methinks he talks the talk, but I have my doubts if he can walk the walk.

The fact that they're unwilling to publish their track record seems suspect to me. And I, for one, am kind of tired of Brandon using ET to advertise his services for free. Sure, he does so under the pretense of education, but that just makes his ruse all the more devious. I've been waiting for months for someone to call him on this. Nobody else gets away with pumping their service the way he does. Why?

For my money, the newcomer Mr. Ramoutar has far more to say about trading than Mr. Friedrickson, and he's got a track record to prove he can trade. Furthermore, I don't see him pumping his service at all.

What kind of ruse is it to advertise here under announcements (for free!!), and make it sound as if he's doing everyone a favour by offering traders a free 2 weeks?? Many rooms do this. Big deal. If Brandon wants to advertise here, let him pay for it.

One more thing: I don't for a second believe that 40% of the people that signed up since 1998 are still with him. Impossible. Anyway, why would they be, if his point is to educate and get them trading on their own? Maybe what he meant is that 40% (eg. 2/5) of the original 5 are still there. If so, what is the significance of this statistic?

I don't know. I just find Brandon's shennanigans hard to stomach. Anyone else out there?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a time in the life of every problem that it's big enough to be recognized, yet small enough to be solved.

#21     Jul 8, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Actually, he does pay for it.

#22     Jul 8, 2003
  3. I agree.. he should put up an honest track record of how his intraday picks perform. The more honest and detailed.. the more respect he will earn. Making excuses why he shouldn't is lame.

In this business its not about educational bullshit.. its about performance and how much $ you make. There is no asterisk in performance.

If you want education buy a few popular trading books.. and do a search on any topic you can imagine here on ET... you will have more info than you will ever need to become profitable. You don't have to sit in a chat room all day to learn a few things you can figure out on your own.

Anyways... even if u learn something most of it is highly discretionary and can not be duplicated on your own.

--MIKE

#23     Jul 8, 2003
  4. Here is my take on how he is playing his business:

He doesnt want to post a track record and show us how well he is doing because when he goes through a slump he will get killed and have high member cancelations.

Even worse.. if his picks suck over a long period of time everyone will just bash him and he will be out of business quickly.

So he plays this educational card which is a safe hedge because regardless of what happens.. its all about education.

Traders here on ET are smart and savy. If you tell us you are a good trader and we should pay you to teach us something.. then show us how good you are. A long term comprehensive track record is necessary.. not a mini journal for a few weeks and then a fall out.

--MIKE

#24     Jul 8, 2003
  5. Magna

Magna Administrator

This is not to dispute a number of interesting observations you make, but to reinforce what dbphoenix mentioned... Brandon (thru his company Trading From Main Street) is an ET advertiser and sponsors the Chit Chat forum.

#25     Jul 8, 2003
  6. I am a member here (TFMS) and have been trading professionally for 5 years. I am involved in the CMT program (level 2) through the MTA. I also went through a $30K Masters Finance Program which included 5 trading classes to prepare for the CMT. The quality of education I received there is no better than Toni and Brandon provide for their members and viewers for A FRACTION OF THE COST. I do have a nice piece of paper in a frame, but would like that back in my trading acct.

It is about ideas and opportunities. A Network to learn with and bounce ideas off, but includes the complete package of building a professional trading plan. This is what 80% of traders are missing and they will continue to struggle in this market if they do not have a defined edge. Knowing your edge and executing the trade to plan is the basis to consistent trading.

I use their service as a extra pair yes, actually about 5 pairs, and trade according to my plan. Learn how to fish...do not ask for fish to be put on hook.

B......

#26     Jul 8, 2003
  7. Wiener

Wiener

Do paying members get to censor posts like this ? :D

PS thanks for the heads up Duey.

#27     Jul 9, 2003
  8. Actually, there was a very long and heated thread several months ago about Brandon, and why he was allowed to pimp his services here. We were told then that he was an advertiser, and was allowed. Upon hearing that, I had no problems or issues. But, to avoid confusion in the future, maybe his signature line should say "paying advertiser".

Anyway, I got this thread on the "track record" conversation yesterday. I was told that Brandon ran more of an educational site, so the track record was not that imperative.

I am not here to bash Brandon. Just like anything else, I am sure there are those who like him and his service, and those who do not.

However, I think that anyone who signs up for a service without knowing a track record is totally clueless and throwing their money away. And, as someone else here said, the only reason for a service not to post their record is because it is not that good. Think about it - if it was good, every effort would be made to document it and keep it up to date. IT WOULD BRING IN MORE PAYING CUSTOMERS.

The first thing I was told yesterday was that it took to long - 8 - 10 hours a week, I think. My suggestion was to hire part time help. Then the "education", not "stock pick" spin was introduced.

Anyway, it was good to hear your point of view.

#28     Jul 9, 2003
  9. If there is a name of a business under the username when somebody posts then that identifies them as a paying advertiser. ie, under Brandon's name it say's "Trading from Main Street", under Don Brights name it says "Bright Trading" etc.....

#29     Jul 9, 2003
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

As I've said, BF's room is not for me. However, I fail to understand why he attracts criticism like a lightning rod. He makes no promises. He doesn't tell people - like Jack Hershey, for instance - that they're going to make piles of money, even as beginners, if they just learn his fershlugginer "system". He doesn't tout his prowess like Mr. Market (though his sometime "journal" posts come close). He offers a service. And he offers it on a free trial basis so that anyone who thinks he might be interested can try it without any sort of expenditure or commitment.

He's an advertiser. He pays to advertise. If you're not interested, don't bite. But it's not fair to come down on him just because he does what every other advertiser and chatroom guru does.

#30     Jul 9, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.