Spanish89- Opportunist Trades (2nd journal)

Discussion in 'Journals' started by spanish89, Aug 2, 2011.

1. And im still holding my Short-Sell on the US 2year,
    plus my long on Juniper (which rose 9% yesterday, 2% today, and im going to cash in after 5-6% more rise).

Although i am quite nervous and unhappy about holding any trades over over the weekend incase it tanks on political news.

#51     Aug 12, 2011
  2. Great news that no bad news has come out of European governments over the weekend,
    and as a result dow future has risen up about 80points more this sunday night! :)

Which is very beneficial for both my Juniper long and my 2-year treasury short trades.

Im planning on dumping both trades asap though as they are getting kinda dull and boring now due to their non-existent volatility.

I also had great news over the weekend when i looked in 1 of my bank accounts,
    as my ex-employer who i haven't done any work for for over 3months paid me £706 into my bank account by mistake!! :D

So a free extra £700 cash for my wealth management fund. ;)

Ive used this money to fund a new trade which i made a few minutes ago,
    have bought Usd/Jpy at 76.78 (although i it has a 10pips spread!!).

I see there being some extremely strong resistance at 79.95 - 80.16,
    and so have set it up to cash me in as soon as market touches 79.91,
    which will give me abit over 300pips profit.

And i would like to see this target hit within the next 1-2weeks.

Ive made this trade and view this as a good opportunity as the Japanese yen is extremely overbought on all the chart timeframes (i focus on the weekly/monthly/yearly to start with),
    and then on the 1 and 5min chart the market is at an extremely overbought level,
    it has shown price action during last week of a triple-bottom reversal formation having formed, with it building a strong solid looking base between the 76.43 - 76.68 level,
    and there is a HUGE likelyhood of yen weakness through the Japanese government intervening to weaken their currency like they hinted at many many times during last week (and as the swiss government did do).

And so there is huge upside potential due to this combination vs extremely low further downside potential for this pair.

#52     Aug 14, 2011
  3. Am feeling EXTREMELY angry currently,
    as i saw that Motorola Mobility Holdings had risen nearly 60% in pre-market trading to around $40.00,
    however as the market doesn't open for trading through EtxCapital till 2:30pm (and the last price they were quoting was friday's close of $24.50)....

So i had placed a £5 per point buy order to be triggered at $24.73,
    hoping that it would get filled within the few seconds between market opening and then gapping up!

The market opened, and for the 1st 11seconds was displaying the price as just $24.50,
    but yet my order failed to be triggered!! :mad: :mad:

I got automated-email just now saying that the reason it failed to trigger was due to insufficient funds in my account (as since i didn't manually enter a stoploss for this trade,
    it based it on the maximum margin requirement!!!

So i just missed out on £6,000 profit!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: L:

#53     Aug 15, 2011
  4. surely that trade wouldn't have been filled anyway mate? If they were showing that price then it must have been a mistake and they would have voided the trade as the real market never traded that low.

Otherwise , surely everyone could make a million pounds in a week taking advantage of all stock gap ups with spreadbet firms who display the previous days closing price of the stocks for the first minute or so, lol?

#54     Aug 15, 2011

5. Im trying to work that out... :/

As in their market-details box for the market it says that the low of the day was $24.43 and the high of the day was $38.70,
    so that means that for a few seconds there must have been an available price of 24.43 surely

#55     Aug 15, 2011
  6. ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!

I just phoned them up and the lady confirmed that that buy-price had been tradeable!!! :'(

However the reason that my trade failed to execute was due to me not having specified a stoploss (which i could have done with my available capital),
    so them basing it on maximum margin instead (which was more than my available capital)!!!

So due to me failing to check the margin requirement and stuff for this trade when i made it i just missed out on £6,000 cash!!!! :'(

#56     Aug 15, 2011
  7. lol, that's crazy.
    I might open up an account with your broker tomorrow when i've got a spare minute and try it too!
    Could make almost limitless amount of points per day risk free lol
    Be a millionnaire pretty darn quick!

#57     Aug 15, 2011
  8. I just did the exact maths and its only £3,500 that i missed out on, not £6,000.
    So still a huge amount, but il be ok.

I also started thinking back to how in late 2008/early 2009 i bought Crude Oil at under $40 usd at £16 per tick,
    bought the Dow at 6,500 at £8 per point,
    and bought gold at $867 at £3 per tick.

If id held those trades for the last 2years instead of cashing them in id have made nearly half a million pounds net profit!!!

So missing out of 3.5k is nothing inthe grand scheme of things,
    and atleast i merely ''missed out on'' it, not actually last any money. :)

#58     Aug 15, 2011
  9. Back to my journal, thankfully Usd/Jyp fell back abit so i could buy some more at 76.63.... :)

Target order is set for 79.91, although il likely cash in at 78.43.

What trades is everyone else making/looking for today??

#59     Aug 15, 2011
  10. And just cashed-in my short-sell on the 2year treasury for break even after paying the 4points spread.

I liquidated this trade for break-even as the Dow has rocketed up 1,000points over last 3 trading sessions,
    so very likely will fall back 200-300points tomorrow..

However as the Dow rose 1,000points the 2year has remained in a 4points range, even though 5, 10 and 30year all did fall.

But so this means that tomorrow when the Dow likely falls, the 2year price will rise,
    and i can't be bothered to tieup my capital in a dead-market like bonds.

#60     Aug 15, 2011