Spammer

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by TraderZones, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Not quite as hilarious when I use Complain button on an obvious spammer, and half the time, ET does nothing about the posts.

This spammer (post#3{ still lists all his contact details.

What's wrong with ET? They like to make it hard on people trying to help?

Not dealing with spammers encourages them

Ignoring attempts to report them make me (and discourages others) likely to give up in near future. Apparently ET doesn't give a whoopee.

Want to do something useful? Give me a moderation ability to deal with spammers. I abuse it (which I won't), you can take it away. I will obliterate obvious spam posts and warn the poster.

I usually see a couple a

#11     Oct 1, 2008
  2. Whenever there is a complaint in the forums I moderate, I review them for validity. Most of the time, the complaint is warranted and the issue is dealt with. If you have a specific example, feel free to show me or send me a PM. Either as Port or Traderzones, whichever you happened to be logged in with at the time.

#12     Oct 1, 2008
  3. I only report obvious spammers. But frankly, many times, the Complain button approach is ignored, not dealt with. I don't report people who just happen to include a link in response to others, but people who blatantly troll for customers or put in their websites obviously with no relation to the topic. Sort of "DIY signatures" seeking to increase traffic to their website or own blog.

If I report someone, it is usually obvious to anyone who spends 30 seconds reading it that they are spamming.

"eminiforecaster" was an example. his user ID and link were the same. He just gave a random thought, and bang, there was his website, a commercial site over a year old.

I used Complain button. After I checked 2 days later, zip was done This is just one example out of the number of spammers I try to report. (And no, I didn't check again, now 7 or so days later).

It can't be that hard to investigate someone with 4 posts, can it???

I am not Port and am not really sure who or what you mean. I use one ID, period.

And this is not really directed at any moderator, but the site. If ET wants people to help out with abusers of the site, they should bend over backwards to support and help us, not make us feel like we should have to fight and push to get ET to eliminate spammers.

EVERY moderator should be directed by ET to take swift action to rid ET of spammers. At minimum, the site sponsors deserve aggressive targeting of spammers.

I am not writing this because I think ET misses one or two. They are WEAK at addressing Complain button reports about SPAM. As I said, probably near half the things I report are there the next day or longer. I don't bother going back farther. It is just frustrating this site does not support people trying to help out by rapidly getting rid of TOS violators.

#13     Oct 1, 2008
  4. We cannot investigate all new users. It's just impossible.

I get the "Reported Post" emails in my inbox, and I go through each of them. As I said, most of the time it's a valid report. Some times it is not.

It is unlikely you have had problems with spammers in the Trading or Forex forums that have not been address promptly, as I review those forums several times a day (unless I am traveling, then it is once a day) and remove anything suspiscious.

If it is another forum, I cannot help you as I don't get the email and I couldn't delete posts there even if I did get the email.

#14     Oct 1, 2008
  5. hughb

hughb

"It ain't the crime, it's the cover up".

Most people probably wouldn't have cared very much that President Clinton was doing the interns in the White House. It was a widely known fact he was quite the horndog. But when he wagged his finger in our faces and said, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman..." he pissed people off.

Larry Craig drew a "oh come on!" from the arresting officer when he said he simply takes a wide stance on the toilet. And when he shrieked in front of the cameras that he is not gay, and that he never has been gay, he just made people look at him in disgust. Nobody really cares if he gay.

Using multiple handles on a chat board seems to be commonplace. Who knows what the motivation for it is, it's probably different for each person who does it. Maybe they were embarrased by their previous comments, maybe they just want to paint several personalities to see which one gets the most respect. Who knows? Since there are a few chatters here who are solid, I don't really worry about the flaky ones who are no doubt using multiple handles in an effort to paint their most desired persona.

port/tz, if I were your head of staff or spokesperson, here's what I would reccomend. it's kind of a risky strategy because you are constantly appealing to the authorites for more action, something you would expect from the left or the democrats, but you should take the typical republican tack of dealing with scandal. here it is:

Announce that you have seen the error of your ways and converted to Christianity. After Reverend Haggard was caught sexing and drugging it up with his male prostitute, he converted, well -reconverted - and was cured of homosexuality. You can convert and be cured of MHS, Multiple Handle Syndrome. I'll arrange time slots througout the week where you can call in to national and local conservative AM talk radio shows to propagate the message. I'll have your approval rating back above 53% in no time.

#15     Oct 1, 2008
  6. Heh...excellent post :)

#16     Oct 1, 2008
  7. Traderzones/port got caught red handed.... and now wants us to believe otherwise.

I was asking Traderzones a question, and out of the blue Port comes here to answer the question I asked??? :confused:

I mean come on now.... its so obvious. Why wont trader/port man up and admit it??:confused:

Sure its embarassing... and humiliating, but its worse to try and cover it up.... I mean Ivan already said its the same IP address!!

#17     Oct 1, 2008
  8. rcanfiel --> TraderZones & Port1385

You are on record in stating for a fact (without actually saying yes) that you have had at least one prior user name called rcanfiel.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136220

The same rcanfiel that was caught being a spammer at ET by Magna and the same rcanfiel that posted as TraderZones when you tried selling your system for $250k in the classified section and the same rcanfiel that's got a problem with Technical Analysis...

The same rcanfiel that suddenly started going after sponsors, none sponsers, spammers et cetera the next day after Magna gave you a public warning about spamming your website here at ET.

Also, the Port1385 posted the exact same system for sell in the classified section as you did as TraderZones...

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128386

Exact same word for word, same system and same price before a moderator answered the complaints and deleted Port's message and everything else that came with it.

Therefore, in my opinion, most here don't take you serious based upon your own past actions and inability to admit a few things that's so obvious.

Convert and apologize for your own behavior and I'll be the first in line to take you serious as a ET member as I once did when you were known as rcanfiel before you spammed your website here at ET in your trade journal. :mad:

Until then...you are still a hypocrite pretending to be someone that doesn't violate ET TOU policy...

Pretending to have never tried to sell anything at ET...

Pretending to be out to protect our fellow ET member.

Here's another suggestion, it's ok for you to go after other spammers.

Just stop lying that you only have one alias and stop lying that you've never attempted to sell any thing here at ET.

In my opinion, you should be BANNED for continuing stating that you have no other alias, openly trying to sell your system and caught trying to spam your fee-based website here at ET.

Reminder - You said I was on ignore after our prior discussion.

Mark

#18     Oct 1, 2008
  9. yes Treader/Port..... come forward... apologize for your deceitfulness here and now, and we, here in the ET community will forgive you.

You will once again be a respected member if you cleanse away your past transgressions against your brother traders...... what say you??? There's always forgiveness if you ask for it.... come be part of the flock.....

#19     Oct 1, 2008
  10. I am not really sure what you mean, I am not traderzones.

#20     Oct 2, 2008