Spam from ET

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by J.P., Sep 28, 2016.

1. J.P.

J.P.

The following was received today at 8:46 a.m. from ET. (Only EliteTrader has the email address to which this came.)

===
    From: Notification Group - notification.group@great-cash.com
    Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:46 AM
    To: [email address deleted]
    Subject: Verification Required For [email address deleted]

Hello, !

We've been trying to get in touch with you in regards to an outstanding deposit.

>> View Commission Checks <<

In order to cash your Commission Check

we need you to verify your bank account:

>> Verify Your Bank Account <<

Thanks,

Notification Group

Unsubscribe / Change Profile
    Powered by YMLP

2. Ryan81

Ryan81

I didn't receive that specific spam, but in the past few days I have noticed a very suspicious increase in my Spam, one of which was from some place called "TradersCrux" (Editor (TradersCrux)<traderscrux@reply.bronto.com>) which I have never heard of before, and made me think perhaps somehow my email address (or all of the user database?) maybe have been compromised from here.

In the last couple days I also started getting multiple spams from "New York Times Partnernewsletter@mortgagesfinder.com" (as if it were some kind of list or something?) but I never heard of these either...

Could be unrelated... but the "TradersCrux" crap made me think it is possible it could be from here.. I don't know.

3. Ryan81

Ryan81

Full context of the mail (without the HTML garbage at the end.... and with my real email redacted):
    -------------------------

Delivered-To: XXXXXXXXXX@gmail.com
    Received: by 10.107.51.207 with SMTP id z198csp2305919ioz;
    Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:03:56 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Received: by 10.37.170.236 with SMTP id t99mr18923094ybi.154.1474949036798;
    Return-Path: <aybjswq102lpdnso57x4f7fx0m78lsea-b@bounce.bronto.com>
    Received: from ms227.bronto.com (ms227.bronto.com. [216.27.63.227])
    by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id x133si95661ywb.4.2016.09.26.21.03.56
    for <XXXXXXXXXX@gmail.com>
    (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
    Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of aybjswq102lpdnso57x4f7fx0m78lsea-b@bounce.bronto.com designates 216.27.63.227 as permitted sender) client-ip=216.27.63.227;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
    dkim=pass header.i=@bronto.com;
    spf=pass (google.com: domain of aybjswq102lpdnso57x4f7fx0m78lsea-b@bounce.bronto.com designates 216.27.63.227 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=aybjswq102lpdnso57x4f7fx0m78lsea-b@bounce.bronto.com
    DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=simple; s=bdk; d=bronto.com; h=Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type:Date:From:List-Unsubscribe:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Reply-To:Sender:Subject:To; i=editor=3Dtraderscrux.com@reply.bronto.com; bh=2EutfwWzoZuupz6y/98n9aKrPS0=; b=VFpERCUipXUaYdrZGL3TD18p0rcUpv8U5ulCigje+vZWTwPjb1BcY1++x1UvBvCIcy4F9r+ccIVd
    I+bU/vxI1JdEfYiRE3Xa9dJHqHawkwBLezg5VLGqSGdXhO3WIYLwrYcg3x86OpuAFSrzC7B/aW0b
    AlZa8LQwApF/Vf5JkyU=
    Received: from localhost (10.0.1.91) by ms227.bronto.com id ht7nqo1kmf8q for <XXXXXXXXXX@gmail.com>; Tue, 27 Sep 2016 00:00:40 -0400 (envelope-from <aybjswq102lpdnso57x4f7fx0m78lsea-b@bounce.bronto.com>)
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="==Multipart_Boundary_xc75j85x"
    Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 00:00:00 -0400
    List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:aybjswq102lpdnso57x4f7fx0m78lsea-u@bounce.bronto.com>
    Message-ID: <aybjswq102lpdnso57x4f7fx0m78lsea.sea.1474948800@bronto.com>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Reply-To: "Editor (TradersCrux)" <editor@traderscrux.com>
    Return-Path: aybjswq102lpdnso57x4f7fx0m78lsea-b@bounce.bronto.com
    Sender: <editor=traderscrux.com@reply.bronto.com>
    Subject: Most Important Trading Email You'll Ever Read
    To: <XXXXXXXXXX@gmail.com>
    X-campaignID: bm23_aptfqardzrhsjgpfrhqbaweesladbgi
    X-Mailer: BM23 Mail

--==Multipart_Boundary_xc75j85x
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Myth - You are one technical indicator or automated system away from making
    money in the markets.
    Truth - You have to look beyond the chart and truly understand the framework of
    the market in order to be profitable.
    How do we know that is true?
    Because the day trading strategies this trader has been using has produced
    documented REAL WORLD profits of over 1400%.
    He is going to share some of these techniques and teach you how to read below
    the surface of the chart in a special webinar session AND also show you the
    brokerage statements to prove that it actually works.
    This special webinar session will teach you:
    ? Contextual Market Reading (The secret technique that allows market
    wizards to forecast the market with uncanny accuracy)
    ? How to day trade major market reversals (you'll be more than surprised
    by this unique insight)
    ? The one simple technique to significantly improve your accuracy
    overnight
    Register for this one-time session Here
    If you truly want to become a profitable trader, you owe it to yourself to set
    aside the time and put these strategies to the test.

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Not sure why either one of you guys would think those emails are from us when they are clearly coming from completely different domains than ours.

5. OP implied that the email address that received the spam was only used to sign up for ET.

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The OP's implication is absolute BS. He went and got a free disposable email address from a place called Xoxy.net (which maps to a site called spamgourmet.com by the way) and he thinks we shared his address? That's funny stuff right there.

People need to understand that these low-grade disposable email services are in the business of sharing their user's email addresses because that's the only way they can make money offering a free email service.

Further evidence of this is simply the fact that nobody else has even chimed in saying they got the same email that he received.

NoBias likes this.
  7. I kinda figured. I know from experience that (for all their faults) gmail at least doesn't sell addresses.

For one-off message board sign-ups (other than ET of course) I'll use guerrillamail to avoid this issue.

8. Ryan81

Ryan81

I was not trying to make any accusations. I just wanted to provide a data-point, with respect to strange emails I've received this week (one of which had a trading-theme to the spam), in the unlikely event something happened and somehow a third party was able to access forum members' email addresses.

9. J.P.

J.P.

Well, it is not BS. I've been using this email service for over 10 years. It lets me use a different email address for every entity I sign up with. I now have over 100 distinct email addresses with them. And I highly recommend that everyone use this or a similar service, routinely, the same way I do.

Over the years maybe five percent of the places abused or did not adequately protect my email addresses and it was good to know instantly who they were. And there were one or two that were quite surprising. The most unexpected was when I started receiving spam from Equifax (or from someone who somehow obtained Equifax's email list) and I had to dispose of that email address. You would think that place would be very secure.
    This may be true of some, but not this place. As I said, ~95% of my disposable email addresses over a 10+ year period receive zero spam.
    That's a good point. If I'm the only one who got this spam then it is unlikely that ET's email list was appropriated and is the culprit here.

To your point, and the only alternate explanation I can think of, is that my email service has started selling only a small portion of its stock of email addresses; which seems unlikely but nonetheless possible. So I hereby rescind any unintentional implication of ET impropriety.

10. Baron

Baron ET Founder

If 95% of your email address receive no spam, then there's really no point whatsoever in having 100 email addresses. It's like you're trying to counteract some incredible spam attack to your inbox that never actually happens.

Thanks. I'm sure your site registrations and therefore your registered email addresses span a diverse range of sites, so it could be that they are only selling the email addresses associated with trading and/or finance sites. Hard to say.

#10     Sep 29, 2016