spam blocking software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Aaron, Jun 5, 2004.

1. I did a trial of Mailwasher. It was really more time consuming than just deleting the spam from my inbox. Nothing seems able to catch these random worded spams.

#11     Jun 6, 2004
  2. Hubert

Hubert

3. newbunch

newbunch

I use spampal (spampal.org) along with the Bayesian plugin. I get about 200 spam a day and it catches about 99% of them. But, as with all spam programs, be careful of false positives until you have it set up correctly. You can also create a "whitelist" from outlook (using a plugin) so that regular e-mailers won't be blocked.

#13     Jun 6, 2004
  4. mmillar

mmillar

#14     Jun 6, 2004
  5. dav10

dav10

#15     Jun 6, 2004
  6. dav10

dav10

#16     Jun 6, 2004
  7. If you get only few spam mails then simply deleting them from the inbox may be easier but if you receive hundreds, i'm not sure it's easier to just delete them especially if some valid ones are mixed with them.

The key to mailwasher is the filters. I downloaded the user-supplied filters at http://www.w5hq.com/MailWasher/MailWasherFilters.txt and it catches every spam including those random worded, spaced subjects, blank subjects, etc. However, you have to create your friends' list so mailwasher knows who your valid senders are.

Just like any other spam blocking software, you have to spend time initially to configure it to work the way you want it.

#17     Jun 6, 2004
  8. pspr

pspr

I use Spamnix for Eudora. It sends about 99% of the 500-800 spam emails I get each day to my trash mail box where I scan the subjucts before I just delete them.

http://www.spamnix.com/index.html

#18     Jun 6, 2004
  9. What is the difference if you just scan it from your Inbox and delete it from there ?

#19     Jun 6, 2004
  10. pspr

pspr

Presumeably, the mail that has been sent to trash is most of the time ALL spam and ligitimate mail was sent to the proper mail box (or inbox in your case). I only make a cursory scan of the trash to make sure a good email wasn't accidentally caught in the spam filter. If I had to scan and separate all the spam from all the good emails (I get personal and business emails all day long) it would be a tedious task.

Also, I like to be notified when I receive new email. By sending 99% of the spam to the trash I don't get new mail notifications every few minutes.

#20     Jun 6, 2004