Spain loses AAA rating

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Daal, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Mvic

Mvic

I'm aware of that but as you know there are powerful forces in Europe who, for their self interest, will do all they can to foment an anti Euro sentiment in countres like Germany. There is a lot of ammunition for their campaign in news like this and its ramifications.

#11     Jan 19, 2009
  2. I think they go back to the currencies they had (the mark, lira, drachma, franc, etc.) I don't think they join sterling.

#12     Jan 19, 2009
  3. Daal

Daal

It looks like the EUR will go to the trashcan during the good years not the bad ones as people seem to consider it a safe haven now and trichet has pulled the typical central banker play of talking hawkish while easing like mad

#13     Jan 19, 2009
  4. I think that may happen one day but imagine Spain withdrew from the EUR zone today - what would happen to the new Peseta? It would get trashed. Spanish gov. bonds yields go through the roof. Spain would be closer to economic Armageddon than ever.

#14     Jan 19, 2009
  5. http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,602008,00.html

German Banks Face Further Big Losses

Germany's top 20 banks still have around 300 billion euros of toxic securities on their books and have written off only a quarter of that, according to an official survey, SPIEGEL reports. That means they face further big losses.

#15     Jan 19, 2009
  6. Bernanke said: "Listen Jean Claude, we are going to print zillions of $ because, well, all of our banks are bankrupt . You better print along we don't want the $ to get crushed."

Jean Claude: " How convenient! All our banks are just as bankrupt! "

:p

#16     Jan 19, 2009
  7. #17     Jan 19, 2009
  8. Banff01

Banff01

Haven't we learned just recently that S&P rating does not mean anything? That shop should be closed because they were the major contributor to the current financial crisis. They should have no business in rating anyone or anything anymore.

#18     Jan 19, 2009
  9. Spanish PM : Ay Caramba!

#19     Jan 19, 2009
  10. Spain is not going to leave the blanket of the Euro currency. There is no incentive for them to do so. The risks would be much higher. It would be like California leaving the Federal government. When it comes down to it, the ECB will support Spain.

#20     Jan 19, 2009