Spain, Ireland `Thrown to the Wolves' After ECB Move

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by makloda, Jul 4, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

Are your eyes welded shut? We are in a HUGELY inflationary environment.

The Fed has been pumping money into the system averaging in the TEENS the last 5 years and >20% rate recently.

http://www.nowandfutures.com/key_stats.html

It's almost like the Fed is intentionally trying to destroy the American way of life! :mad:

#31     Jul 4, 2008
  2. asap

asap

what i see is the fed doing the opposite, that is, trying to save american's way of life by increasing the money supply and bailing out the blow outs here and there.

i mean one of the goals of the fed is keeping consumer spending at highest possible levels so the gdp output keeps its pace.

phuck inflation, bankruptcies and currency value. as long as they have some bucks to spend on the shopping mall, there is no problem whatsoever.

#32     Jul 4, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

That's the short-term wind song. But unfortunately it ends with everyone having lots of paper dollars but they can't buy much and are effectively bankrupt.

#33     Jul 4, 2008
  4. asap

asap

from a statistical standpoint that's irrelevant. those going bust will be rapidly replaced by fresh new big time spenders that will get easy money from the system to pump the engine to the next level. as long as there are new borns, a good educational system, these intermediate busts are just a rapid cancel & replace process.

who cares about homeless people anyway. welcome to 21st century laissez-faire. sad but true.

#34     Jul 4, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

You're not getting it. In this play, we ALL GO BUST... all but the very richest.. but they still lose a high percentage of their net worth.

#35     Jul 4, 2008
  6. Congratulations you are a graduate of the corporate media's "School of Brainwashing Idiots"

You may now cross the stage.

You really think the Fed cares about the general public?

WOW Wake up!

#36     Jul 4, 2008
  7. Cutten

Cutten

Ireland and Spain (and other places) are facing recession because a large proportion of the population and financial system engaged in irresponsible gambling on real estate prices, using enormous amounts of borrowed money (i.e. other people's life savings). Not because the ECB chose to put rates at 4.25% instead of 4%.

I love this idea that a tiny difference in the central bank rate is the be all and end all of economic performance. You know, if rates had been higher over the last few years of obvious bubble, there *wouldn't be a recession* in the first place to have to worry about. How come the doves never consider that?

Leveraged gamblers live by the sword - they make huge gains during bull markets; so they should not moan when they die by it in bear markets as leverage works in the other direction. As a professional speculator, I am disgusted by the craven bleating and refusal to accept responsibility that the majority of these people are displaying.

Speculating is an honourable, noble, and productive activity. Whining because you couldn't hack it is not.

#37     Jul 4, 2008
  8. Cutten

Cutten

Interest rates affect the supply of money. The money supply affects inflation.

Next question?

#38     Jul 4, 2008
  9. Cutten

Cutten

Google "Paul Volcker". Thanks.

#39     Jul 4, 2008
  10. Cutten

Cutten

Google "Paul Volcker" + "1982 recession". Thanks.

#40     Jul 4, 2008