SP500 sector ETF: XLP vs XLY

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by ggnn2020, Jul 26, 2020.

1. ggnn2020

ggnn2020

XLP is for consumer staples sector includes companies that manufacture or sell products that are essential for living.

XLY is for companies that manufacture or sell products that aren't essential for living and are dependent on the disposable income of households.

But based on this definition, why would PM and MO belong to XLP, while HD and LOW in XLY? It seems to me HD and LOW are more essential than PM and MO?

Tommcurrans likes this.
  2. xandman

xandman

PM, MO - If I don't get my cigarette break, I am gonna kill somebody.

HD, LOW - I am broke. I can finish the porch next year.

3. ggnn2020

ggnn2020

Thanks for the explanation. That's a good one. :)

But I also see WMT and COST are in XLP, while AMZN and TGT in XLY. To me they are head-to-head competitors?

Curious why we need both XLP and XLY, instead of merging into a single Consumer sector. The market cap of XLP + XLY < XLK. So it's not because the imagined sector is too large?

4. Sigue!

Sigue!

Somebody with access to lots of information looks at the minute details of these businesses and then says ... "uh, ok this one goes here". I'm sure it's a toss-up in some cases, but there is more than meets the retail eye with regard to the machinations of these LARGE integrated businesses. There, how's that? Not quite as good as ggnn2020's response, I know.

5. ET180

ET180

I see Target as being more discretionary than staples. Comparing the Walmart and Target near me, every Walmart that I have been to has a fully grocery section. Target only got into groceries a few years back and their selection is more limited. Also, Walmart carries more essential items like guns, ammunition, and automotive parts while Target only has a very limited selection of motor oil. I'd say Walmart and Costco about 50% discretionary 50% staples. Target about 25% staples, 75% discretionary. Amazon is around 90% discretionary. So I think the weighting is appropriate. Also, just looking at stock performance, Amazon and Target have been much more volatile than Walmart so that might factor in too. People who buy XLP are looking for something stable that will weather a recession well. I recently added some XLP mostly as an inflation hedge and to park money somewhere. Like the dividend on it and it's good for selling options.

Sigue! likes this.
  6. xandman

xandman

WMT and COST revenue will mostly come from consumer staples. I'm sure S&P broke down their revenues to classify them properly.

There is a very good reason to keep them separate. XLP is a defensive sector that continues to do well during recessions. XLY does not because it contains discretionary items where people can postpone purchases.

Below is a table that shows leading and lagging sectors at different parts of the business cycle. It is not perfectly correlated and lead/lag can be significant because everybody tries to anticipate this cycle effect.

Note: XLP is Consumer Staples, XLK is Consumer Discretionary.

Whether we are in Early Cycle or Late Cycle would be a hot debate.

upload_2020-7-27_5-9-43.png

ET180 likes this.
  7. ET180

ET180

Agree. I also see XLP as being more inflation resistant than XLY as the table shows.