SP2 for XP Home

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by romik, Oct 6, 2006.

1. romik

romik

Been trying to update to SP2 on one of the PCs and after it updates from SP1 and reboots it just gets stuck and Windows does not load up, have to go safe mode and do a system revert.

Possible problems?

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

make sure you have enough space, at least 30Mg for it to move around, other than that I can't think of any thing else make it stucked.

3. I assume that you've already covered all the bases under Get your computer ready. In addition to doing 1) all the pre-SP2 Windows updates and 2) all the driver updates, I'd make sure that 3) your BIOS is the latest version available from your PC manufacturer's website. Most people probably go for years without ever upgrading their BIOS (shocking, I know).

If those steps don't resolve the issue, you'll need to troubleshoot / search the MS Knowledge Base, e.g., starting from the SP2 portal. Could be something as "simple" as this (popular) article listed there.

4. If you boot to the recovery cd and then type fixboot <enter> fixmbr <enter> it usually fixes this problem.