SP Trader - Huge returns...anyone invested with them

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Preston Forbes, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Pretty funny.

The description of the "system" reads like some kid or newb's Trade Station MA Cross or Stoch "Wow! I'm gonna make a million with this!" system they just "discovered".

On carefully chosen data-mined futures, over carefully chosen data-mined time periods, it may work for a *little while* but I wouldn't be surprised if the investors get a letter soon: "We regret to inform you, that due to changing market conditions and recent 30%+ losses we are closing the fund and returning your investment..."

But of course they will keep the 2/20 they banked...

all imho, of course. i'm just an amateur system developer

#31     Feb 12, 2007
  2. Bogan7. You can thank google alerts for finding this board. I've had a google alert on this fund for over a year as I sit on the sidelines to see if there are any posts about the fund defrauding people. This was the first forum that has come up with an active discussion about sptrader. What kills me is that there are no posts from anyone saying that they were scammed and there are no posts about it being a bonefide fund. All I see is banter back and forth about this fund being a scam vs not a scam.

I've been watching this for 2 years now. I've probably spent too much time on one fund.

Are there any other investment opportunities out there?

#32     Feb 13, 2007
  3. #33     Feb 13, 2007
  4. I emailed them asking for prime broker and auditor info. They were evasive.

This has to be a scam. If I had a system with returns/risk like that, I would bet the ranch on it and never share it with anyone. It must be a CAGR in the 50% range with no losing years.

#34     Feb 13, 2007
  5. virgin

virgin

Smallinvestorca,

This "fund" is a ponzi sheme and you will only hear from people being scammed when it collapses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi

Traveller,

Did you ask them where they are registered ?

#35     Feb 13, 2007
  6. Bingo!

#36     Feb 13, 2007
  7. Their prospectus has them registered in the British Virgin Islands (Tortola) with an imaginary accounting firm in Guernsy, Isle of Man?. The fund manager is listed in Switzerland and also in London.

#37     Feb 13, 2007
  8. They didn't bind me to a nondisclosure, so here it is.

#38     Feb 13, 2007
  9. So you advocate the mighty arm of Uncle Sam hammering a Swiss based fund? How libertarian of you. :D

Seriously RM, these guys are doing what your guy is doing. That is using the VI as a tax haven. Many funds dig being exempt from nosy regulators in search of verified track records, NFA registrations and tax ID's.

I doubt they're a fraud but I wouldn't take that trade record to the bank......

#39     Feb 13, 2007
  10. Look closer.

Impossibly good performance data aside, do you really think a bona fide $186 mil AUM hedge fund is gonna list every single trade they made, letting everyone figure out their magic formula? Come on Pabst, you know better.

This is pure thievery, and you can bet most of their victims are U.S. residents.

#40     Feb 14, 2007