Soybean Complex Ratios

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Tradeae, Jun 14, 2013.

1. lx008

lx008

1 soybean vs 2 soyoil works for me.The bear trend for soybean is kind of obvious,so if not for strong crude oil,you don't need that many of long legs

#11     Jul 7, 2013
  2. I too would also guess 1 bean by 2 oil or 1 bean by 2 meal

At my old firm we had an algo that used to trade meal vs. oil 1x1

#12     Jul 22, 2013
  3. i960

i960

So 3 years later I am running into this same problem. Anyone know what's up with CME's margin offsets for soybeans? They don't make any sense to me:

soybean_margins_inter.png

soybean_crush_margins.png

What's up with these 5 and 50 numbers? That doesn't match up at all with what the normal crush ratios are? I bring this up because I was just academically checking out bean vs meal spreads and noticed that the ratios I came up with on my own and from CSI's site bear no resemblance to the reality CME seems to use for purposes of margin.

#13     Aug 18, 2016
  4. You could also use implied volatility (IV) which is a better at forecasting volatility than historical volatility.
    And then you try to get equlibrate the equation
    nb contracts ZL * ZL values * ZL IV = nb contracts ZM * ZM values * ZM IV
    Contrary to spreads, ratios are dynamics so you will have to readjust you quantities to get same risk on both legs

Assuming that spreads are two products with the same number of tons.

#14     Aug 19, 2016
  5. i960

i960

#15     Aug 19, 2016
  6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

They perhaps messed it up with mini soybeans( 1000 Bushels )?

#16     Aug 25, 2016
  7. i960

i960

I contacted CME risk management on this and they basically confirmed that this is a quirk in how their SPAN system feeds data to the site and indeed the contracts showing multiples of 5 are the mini contracts even though it appears as they are the full size symbols.

#17     Oct 3, 2016
  8. Trader13

Trader13

Most traders wouldn't consider contacting the exchange directly so I'm glad you did. I have called them a couple times over the years and have found them to be very responsive and glad to answer questions.

#18     Oct 3, 2016
    i960 likes this.
  9. i960

i960

cme_delta_1.png
    cme_delta_2.png

#19     May 22, 2017