Southern Ontario/Toronto area Futures traders

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by marcus1ca, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Is the DSL/cable connection reliable in your area during snow
    storms?
    What cable /DSL co.is best for internet access near St. Catherines?
    thanx

#11     Jan 9, 2003
  2. Canadian

Canadian

I'm in Kitchener/Waterloo.

Series 7 vs CSC: I took the series 7 during the summer, I think that the Series 7 is easier simply because it is one test, where CSC is two tests + an assignment. Both tests are not difficult, but it'll take a bit of motivation to read the boring books. :)

If you have the series 7, you do not need to take the CSC. Once you passed the 7, you instead can take a short test (NEC exam) which gives you credit for the CSC and the CPH courses. NEC exam is short and more or less on regulation differences.
    The converse is not true, NASD will not exempt you from having to take the series 7 no matter what courses you have from the Canadian Securities Institute.

Out of curiosity, does anybody here trade the Montreal Options Exchange or Winnipeg Commodity Exchange? Also, why don't formal market-maker/assistant/trainee floor trader type positions exist in Canada as opposed to the U.S.?

#12     Jan 9, 2003
  3. Bootsie

Bootsie

Hi,

It sure is nice to know Canadians are out there chasin' and makin' the markets!

I took the CSC just to get some knowledge - biochemistry undergrad - and because I started to find the area of trading really interesting. I started reading all the books - the required ones anyway - and just got hooked... watching Wall Street helped too! kidin'

...but I digress. There is a very good chance I'll be moving to the states for too many reasons to discuss here and just wanted to cover all my basesby taking the 7. If it's a bit easier than the CSC then it shouldn't take long at all.

Since there are so many of us infiltrating the markets of the world, we should keep a post going just for Canadian issue at hand.

For instance, I'd like to know what feedback anyone could offer on the trading platforms that are out there. I'm thinking about going to Interactive Brokers from Tradefreedom. Any thoughts.

Thanks all

Best,
    Bootsie

#13     Jan 9, 2003
  4. lescor

lescor

Just like you easterners to ignore the west! I'm a prairie boy (Sakatoon) living the dream and trading full time. Took the Series 7 test last year to work with a professional American firm.

A few things pertinent to trading, but if you're a canuck, the tax issues and retirement accounts will take the most study, they did for me at least. It's pretty much just a huge reading comprehension test. I'll be taking the series 55 and 63 soon too. You need to be sponsored by a firm to write the 7, don't think you can do it self sponsored.

#14     Jan 9, 2003
  5. lobydozer

lobydozer

IB is not the only decent broker is T.O. Refco, on Front Street have a great electronic platform - Refco Express. The service is great - the research is great and the commission $10.00 round turn. I used to be with IB who have a lightning fast platform - and the best commissions, however when you have to call them to place an order, you can't get through and then you have to pay full commission of $35.00, meanwhile you are lossing a ton of money on your trade. This happened to me once. When IB have a problem with their platform their lines are clogged & no one can get through. They also charge a monthly fee for the real time quotes.

#15     Jan 9, 2003
  6. axehawk

axehawk

Personally, I think we (Canadians) should all give up. I've been trying to get an actual job/trading position in the states for 9 months. I have an above average GPA from an American university in Finance and can barely get an interview from an American firm. I am licensed and have experience yet all US firms avoid Canadians because of obvious reasons.

Axe

:)

#16     Jan 9, 2003
  7. Bootsie

Bootsie

What... that we're smarter !! te he
    Can you expand a bit.

If I want to trade, I'm going to find a way. It just going to take a bit longer to get there... even if I am Canadian. I would even go so far as to try and grind it out in the pits, assuming someone will let me in the door.
    :)

Anyway, giving up is not an option. If it's what you (me and everyone on this board) want to pursue then it's only a matter of time.

Best of luck to you.

Bootsie

#17     Jan 9, 2003
  8. Bootsie

Bootsie

No disrespect intended !!

:D

#18     Jan 9, 2003
  9. Momento

Momento

About the IB technical support problem... How often does it happen? I am planning to switch from TradeFreedom to IB now that i found out the commission rate differences!!! And plus.. i have been encountering some execution problems myself with the Direx II platform... and frankly despite their support and honesty, the clitch is still not fixed.

about the CSC? Don't bother doing it unless you are planning to work as a broker...

Anyone here trades any of the Canadian Prop programs here?
    like Quest? or Swift? .. etc? I want to know a little more about their pros and cons.

Keep this good thread going
    :p

#19     Jan 9, 2003
  10. Lobydozer,
    How many trade do you make / day to have 10$ commish with Refco? are you talking about future or stocks?
    I've used Refco Express, very good platform, but my commish was 20$ (all fees included) + 2$ Globex fee for a r/turn

Cheers!!:)

#20     Jan 9, 2003