Source for Free historical intraday stock data?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by cashonly, Apr 7, 2008.

1. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

As you point out, the information is on our website. However, you also had an earlier post that says we don't have more than 1 year of data. Your quote from our website is accurate regarding the amount of historical data we carry (which has been recently expanded):
    -----
    30 calendar days of tick (includes pre-post market) and several years of 1-Minute history (Forex back to Feb 2005, Eminis back to Sept. 2005, Stock/Futures/Indexes back to May 2007) retrieval for charting and time & sales data.
    ------
    Just to clarify: not all the data we provide is available in all 3rd party apps. You will need a full IQFeed subscription in order to use the QuoteTracker API with our data. Of course if you are a programmer, you can subscribe to our API and have access to all of the data we provide without going through the extra hops of 3rd party software.

The best options for pumping IQFeed data directly into Excel is QuoteIN or XLQ (3rd party apps). QCollector is also a great option if you want access to the data as flat files.

In the end, you can answer just about any question you have about IQFeed by visiting the website at www.iqfeed.net. You are also welcome to call our 800#, email us or chat with us. Just look for the contact info under the menu on the left side of the page.

#11     Oct 27, 2008
  2. #12     Nov 2, 2008
  3. Do you know the source of the data and how far back it goes? I have been buying 1 min data but would be interested in a free source for back-testing.

#13     Nov 2, 2008
  4. chris_73

chris_73

I have a copy Ashkon (haven't used it for years), it gives only about 500 bars of intraday historical data. With 5-min data it's about 6-7 days.

The data is downloaded from vendors that gives it away for free...

If you want years of free intraday historical data, the only one I know of is www.opentick.com

#14     Nov 7, 2008
  5. Why is a big firm like Bright looking for free data? Remember, you get what you pay for.

Tradestation has plenty of data for their subscribers. QCharts too.

#15     Nov 7, 2008
  6. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Bright isn't looking for free data, *I* am. I'm trying to work with some outsourced programmers and they need the data for testing purposes. I've got the data, but it's on my systems and it's a lot and I don't want to have to deal with shipping it around the world (and there may be restrictions on what I can do with the data from a legal re-distribution standpoint).

#16     Nov 7, 2008
  7. Have them sign up for a free trial with QCharts or Esignal, then cancel before 30 days are up.

If they're overseas can't they just buy pirated data anywhere? Tell them to ask the dude on the corner selling DVDs

#17     Nov 7, 2008
  8. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

:D

#18     Nov 7, 2008