Sorry IB, your customer service is a joke

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Shawn B., Jun 27, 2007.

1. IB not doubt has company posters who always show up with a superb success story.

#21     Jun 28, 2007
  2. I have no idea what the reason is, but there are a group of people who at the first sight of something negative towards IB come in with the cannons blazing. Like they have never had a problem....

At any rate, here is a summary of my experiences, maybe this will help.

- Chat connects maybe %50 of the time. It's not an issue on my end, it's on theirs. They NEVER have a good explanation for it, other than "we are having issues with chat today".

- Bugs with them ALWAYS come down to one of three things. 1. the java version is incorrect. I keep mine updated, but the most recent one caused far more bugs than the older one, so I rolled back. 2. The IB version is incorrect. I keep mine updated, and that seems to work well. 3. It's a bug, they know about it and have no plans on fixing it... lol.

- Never had to phone them, the inquiry ticket system works for me, although it's taken up to 2 weeks for them to reply at times.

- realistically, they offer more products than any broker I know, and have relatively low commissions. For the benefit of this, I work around what I stated above. There are products and exchanges that I haven't been able to trade, even though I wanted to. Last year I could trade SFE for a looooonog time, finally gave up.

Like any company, they obviously have strength's and weaknesses. Customer service has not been a strength in my books.

TNG

#22     Jun 28, 2007
  3. stussy

stussy

Although I had only started to deal with them yesterday, I can already feel that they are totally fxxked up in CS. I called their Canada office, where I am opening an account, and NOOOOO one would pick up. So I called the US line, have the US person transfer me. Well, it is even worse talking after reaching their CS. They are rude, won't answer your question. Basically all he was saying is We can't help you, do it yourself. :eek: That stopped me on sending in my application

#23     Jun 28, 2007
  4. I have had 3 CS issues with them. Each was entered via Acct Admin through my web browser. Each ticket went through issue free and within 1 Business day, my issue was resolved...

YMMV.

#24     Jun 28, 2007
  5. Well, it's unlikely that a trading forum is best-practice for getting a platform-problem vetted. I agree that you have reason to gripe, but aren't we talking about the bill-rate on 10k here? At what point does it become insignificant enough in $-terms to say, "phuck it"?

You can earn the bill-rate on the first $10k via the conversion, box or roll markets. Conversions/reversals are a 3-way; long[short] stock/short[long] synthetic stock. You can place the order as a unit through IB's spread/combo trader. You'll earn [nearly] the risk-free rate with a lower haircut. A liquid option series should beat the EFP by a few basis points.

#25     Jun 28, 2007
  6. Can you give an example of the liquid options and how much yield are u getting? I looked at the Q's and the bid/ask spread is at least 3 cents on the synethetic options leg. Also, u will be charged 3 leg of commision instead of just the 0.50 cents for EFP. Can you post an actual example of how the options way can earn you more moeny than the EFP way? Thanks!

#26     Jun 28, 2007
  7. Shawn B.

Shawn B.

Doing that with a conversion would be nice, in theory, the problem is putting it into practice

I.e. choosing different strike prices for the synthetic greatly affects the whole trade
    For example if you try using a 70 strike price synthetic on QQQ you would only get like 30$ of interest in a year on 10000$, but choosing a different strike yields much different results

This effectively makes it necessary to have some sort of scanning tool to scan all the possible conversion combinations, much like the EFP market scanner, cause you risk locking in rates of interest as low as 0.1% from what I've seen

Does anybody know of a way to scan all those combinations and pick the best implied interest?

#27     Jun 28, 2007
  8. IB is great when you have no problem. When there is a problem you are on your old. They have no customer services whatsoever.

The ticket system is a joke. I have ticket up for months, and no answer. Then I decided to close my account with them.

The rep on phone call is rude. They rush to hang up on you. It could be he is the only one answering the phone.

Of course, I can only speak from my experiences.

#28     Jun 28, 2007
  9. Any one has experience with their API? if they have slow support for their trading platform I wonder what happen if you are writing your own app and run into problems.. lights out?

#29     Jun 28, 2007
  10. Their API is horribly documented (imho) and the only support that I'm aware of is a really user-unfriendly forum on their site. Having said that, however, it's not really that hard to figure it out if you have experience.

TNG

#30     Jun 28, 2007