Soros

Discussion in 'Economics' started by themickey, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Beautiful.

#51     Nov 13, 2018
  2. SunTrader

SunTrader

LOL 4T/Kelo took his ball and won't play no more - like he always does.

Now have a good day/weekend will ya'.

#52     Nov 13, 2018
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

Got a link for that other than usual jawboning Fed heads and politicians do all the time?

#53     Nov 14, 2018
  4. themickey

themickey

George Soros calls for investigation of Facebook after news of smear.

Washington: Liberal philanthropist George Soros has called on Facebook to initiate an independent, internal investigation of its lobbying and public relations work.

The call comes after The New York Times published a report claiming the company had hired an opposition research firm to discredit critics by linking them to Soros, a frequent target of conservatives and anti-Semitic vitriol from the far right.

"These efforts appear to have been part of a deliberate strategy to distract from the very real accountability problems your company continues to grapple with," wrote Patrick Gaspard, the president of the Open Society Foundations, a philanthropic organisation founded by Soros.

Gaspard published the letter on Wednesday night, after publication of the Times report, and addressed it to Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg. Chief executive Mark Zuckerberg, along with Facebook board members and congressional leadership, were also on the address list.

According to the report, Sandberg oversaw an aggressive lobbying campaign to counter the public backlash against the company, following an onslaught of scandals involving Russian misinformation, privacy violations and the viral spread of hateful messages.

The company adopted a public relations strategy akin to campaign-style opposition research, the report said, in which others were attacked, such as Google and Apple, to deflect blame.

Sandberg also wielded her high-ranking position at Facebook to personally appeal to lawmakers in Washington and state attorneys general, the report said, in hopes of curtailing regulations and investigations targeting the social network.

According to the report, Facebook hired a Republican opposition research firm to discredit activists critical of the social network. Some of the efforts linked the activists to Soros, the report said. The firm circulated a document to reporters that "cast Mr. Soros as the unacknowledged force behind what appeared to be a broad anti-Facebook movement," according to the New York Times, and it "pressed reporters to explore the financial connections between Mr Soros' family or philanthropies" and groups critical of Facebook.

In a statement Thursday, Facebook told The Post: "It is wrong to suggest that we have ever asked Definers to pay for or write articles on Facebook's behalf - or to spread misinformation. The relationship with Facebook was well known by the media - not least because they have on several occasions sent out invitations to hundreds of journalists about important press calls on our behalf."

Soros has criticised Facebook's approach to hate speech and propaganda on its global platform. His spokesman, Michael Vachon, said the Times report raises questions about whether Facebook has used similar "unsavory tactics" against other people who have voiced opposition.

"It's been disappointing to see how [Facebook leaders] have failed to monitor hate and misinformation on Facebook's platform. To now learn that you are active in promoting these distortions is beyond the pale," said Gaspard.
    https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-...book-after-news-of-smear-20181116-p50gdn.html

#54     Nov 15, 2018
    piezoe likes this.
  5. The basis for my comment was a conversation with a friend of mind. I have always known my friend to be thorough and accurate with his prior statements and research. However, as a result of your post, I questioned him critically and it looks like he relied on heresay, speculation, and circumstantial evidence.

My friend did cite several sources of potential information that we will both review to see if substantial and provable information and a reasonable timeline of events can be put together.

As it is now, there was a news story that said Soros had divested himself of the Euro. Either the next day or soon after, Tim Geitner announced the US would support the Euro resulting in a significant rally. My friend found it not credible that Soros would not have been positioned on a trade like this given his connections and that he apparently spend $200 million or so to defeat (or redefeat) Bush. Soros net worth increased from $2 billion to $20 billion afterward. My friend does not remember what period of time covered Soros’s increase in net worth.

I noticed a very large ramp up of relatively high paying craigslist activist ads during the financial crisis that are likely attributable to Soros funding. I was an antiwar activist, got signatures on petitions, and also talked to an activist “recruiter” about fundraising during this timeframe.

As a result of my reading and researching the petitions I was trying to get signatures for, my questions of the source of large amounts of funding required to pay canvassers and to fund many political campaigns on a nationwide basis, and my conversation with the activist recruiter, I started to question my political alignment with the Left. However, there was no way I could ever support the party of Bush or his henchmen. Even though the antiwar group, including a precinct control officer I was associated with was going gaga over Obama, I could not support him because I had followed his development from as a US Senator from Illinois and did not like what I saw.

If I find substantial information on Soros’s questionable deal during the financial crisis along with citiable sources, I will follow up in this thread.

#55     Nov 16, 2018
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

Add it to your batch of new claims including that his net worth increased from $2 bill to $20 bill umm almost overnight.

#56     Nov 16, 2018
    piezoe likes this.
  7. piezoe

piezoe

I do like the fact that you're trying to think critically rather than merely responding blindly to all sorts of inflammatory retorts and dis- and mis-information, like Pavlov's dogs. Keep it up. keep learning. read and think. And continue to make your own decisions, and I assure you, you will eventually get very good at it and come to the most reasonable conclusion the majority of the time. This skill will also help you make money from investment. You might even become the next Soros, who has mastered critical thinking to a level seldom achieved. But it's clear he has the advantage of a massive cerebral cortex compared to many of the rest of us. Read as much of his writings as you can. That will greatly benefit you as it has me. You will understand his thinking and why he supports the causes he does, and why, when he addresses the conference at Davos re the World condition, as he has every year for many years, the room is packed. You will also learn that he does not have wrinkly green skin (its wrinkly but not green), nor does he dine on barbecued fetuses on special occasions, have his own private gas chamber in the backyard, or salute the Nazi Flag.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    #57     Nov 16, 2018
    SunTrader likes this.
  8. piezoe

piezoe

Good. It is important to strike back against the sort of dangerous tactic facebook apparently adopted. That they did this is very easily shown to be either true or not. I trust the Times. Their reporting is highly reliable. They have made amazingly few errors of substance over the years. A few whoppers, but damn few, considering the wide range and thoroughness of their coverage. The Times is owned by a foundation and the WAPO is owned by the equivalent, a man with bottomless pockets that bought the post as a contribution to the public good, and then stepped back to preserve its independence. These two papers will go on indefinitely as immeasurably important to the bulwark of American Democracy.

#58     Nov 16, 2018
    themickey and SunTrader like this.
  9. KeLo

KeLo

#59     Nov 23, 2018
  10. themickey

themickey

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/g...is-market-bubble-2020-08-12?mod=mw_latestnews
    George Soros bashes President Trump, explains why he no longer participates in this market bubble
    Published: Aug. 12, 2020 at 10:52 a.m. ET
    By Shawn Langlois

‘I am confident that Trump will turn out to be a transitory phenomenon’
    [​IMG]
    George Soros, billionaire and founder of Soros Fund Management LLC
    George Soros just turned 90 years old... and he’s got a lot to say.

‘We are in a crisis, the worst crisis in my lifetime since the Second World War. I would describe it as a revolutionary moment when the range of possibilities is much greater than in normal times. What is inconceivable in normal times becomes not only possible but actually happens. People are disoriented and scared. They do things that are bad for them and for the world.’

That’s how the billionaire financier, a longtime bogeyman for the right, kicked off his wide-ranging birthday interview, posted on Wednesday, with Italy’s La Repubblica.

Soros is confident the U.S. is better positioned to weather the pandemic than Europe, even though he took issue with the man calling the shots in the White House.

“Even in the United States, a confidence trickster like Trump can be elected president and undermine democracy from within,” he said. “But in the U.S. you have a great tradition of checks and balances and established rules. And above all you have the Constitution. So I am confident that Trump will turn out to be a transitory phenomenon, hopefully ending in November.”

Until then, however, Soros warned that Trump “remains very dangerous,” because “he’s fighting for his life and he will do anything to stay in power.” He added that Trump will be held accountable for his violations of the Constitution if he loses the presidency.

Pivoting to his legendary approach to financial markets, Soros acknowledged that we’re caught up in a bubble fueled by Fed liquidity, which has created a situation that he now avoids. He explained that “two simple propositions” make up the framework that has historically given him an advantage, but since he shared it in his book, “Alchemy of Finance,” the advantage is gone.

“One is that in situations that have thinking participants the participants’ view of the world is always incomplete and distorted. That is fallibility,” said Soros, who made a killing shorting the British pound decades ago. “The other is that these distorted views can influence the situation to which they relate and distorted views lead to inappropriate actions. That is reflexivity.”

He went on to say the market, which he no longer participates in, is sustained by the expectation of more fiscal stimulus along with hopes Trump will announce a vaccine before November.

#60     Aug 12, 2020