Soros Solves Euro Zone Problem

Discussion in 'Economics' started by piezoe, Apr 10, 2013.

1. piezoe

piezoe

George Soros has it right when he says either Germany should drop its opposition to the Eurobond or leave the Euro.

Hot of the press, here is the CNBC story on the Soros speech in Frankfurt, Tuesday. Someone of Soros' stature needed to come forward and say it. Thankfully, now Soros has:

"Soros Tells Germany It Should Leave Euro
    CNBCBy Holly Ellyatt | CNBC – 1 hour 56 minutes ago
    @cnbc on Twitter

As the backlash against austerity and bailouts increases in the euro zone, billionaire investor George Soros is the latest person to criticize Germany's role, telling the country on Tuesday that austerity "does not work" and that it should even consider leaving the euro itself.

"The financial problem is that Germany is imposing the wrong policies on the euro zone. Austerity doesn't work. You can't shrink the debt burden by shrinking the budget deficit," Soros, the founder and chairman of Soros Fund Management,said during a speech in Germany's financial center of Frankfurt on Tuesday.

Soros, who is known as "the man who broke the Bank of England" for betting against the pound in the early 1990s, told Europe's paymaster and largest economy that it had made mistakes on Cyprus' 10 billion euro ($13.07 billion) bailou t, which forced some savers to share in the cost.

"In the bailout of Cyprus, Germany went too far, what happened in Cyprus undermined the business model of the European banks which relies heavily on deposits," he said.
    In a lecture entitled "How to save the European Union from the euro crisis," Soros said that he was attributing "a large share of the responsibility [for the crisis] to Germany."

"I want to make it clear in advance that I am not blaming Germany. Whoever was in charge would have made similar mistakes...I realize that I risk antagonizing you by putting the responsibility on Germany. But only Germany can put things right," he added.

He said that Germany should either drop its opposition to "Eurobonds" - the mutualization of European debt - or should leave the euro.

"My first preference is eurobonds; my second is Germany leaving the euro...It is up to Germany to decide whether it is willing to authorize eurobonds or not. But it has no right to prevent the heavily indebted countries from escaping their misery by banding together and issuing Eurobonds," he said.

"In other words, if Germany is opposed to eurobonds it should consider leaving the euro and letting others introduce them," he said, adding that another dimension to the crisis was Germany's unwillingness to take responsibility for its policies.

"Germany did not seek the dominant position into which it has been thrust and it is unwilling to accept the obligations and liabilities that go with it. Germany understandably doesn't want to be the "deep pocket" for the euro. So it extends just enough support to avoid default but nothing more," he added.

Soros' comments come against a backdrop of anti-austerity feelings in Europe as Portugal's constitutional court rejected reform measures and Slovenia becomes the latest country to resist pressure to request a bailout.

(Read More: Portugal Fires Warning Shot for Austerity in Europe)

His comments also follow criticism of austerity from the U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew. During his visit to Europe this week, Lew called on his European counterparts to strike a balance between growth and austerity and to boost demand.

Lew met French and German finance ministers on Tuesday and his pro-growth message may have struck a chord in France, which is grappling with slow growth and high unemployment. Germany, however, has the biggest trade surplus in the euro zone and is the driving force behind austerity measures.

-By CNBC's Holly Ellyatt, follow her on Twitter @HollyEllyatt"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/soros-tells-germany-leave-euro-094832954.html

2. whatever

it's all an unstainable zero sum game

the only money they can give to you is the money they take from me

money is just getting shifted from one player to the other with the broker taking a cut off of each transaction

If you are a hippy like me, you don't have to be anti growth

growth can come from exploiting natural resources, or just the idea in some guys brain

all you have to do is look at the trash pile, there's a lot of growth potential there

otherwise, it is better to be the broker

as for me personally, I'm about tired of these perpetual motion economic schemes

growth has a bad connotation because it usually destroys the lives of people who have been doing it right, but no kind of Harvard educated scheme or devaluing can get us out of this mess

you need growth
    sustainable growth
    and that means letting the old die out (or cutting them down)

3. piezoe

piezoe

Is it possible, in theory or in practice, to maintain a healthy economy in a state of near equilibrium without significant net growth? Are there any advanced countries that are succeeding at this? I suppose that would require not only a stable population but a stable, favorable, age distribution. I hear the phrase "sustainable growth" in speeches. I don't hear "sustainable and healthy economic equilibrium."

The standard mantra, i.e., "Sustainable Growth", is of course an oxymoron, for, at minimum, two reasons: 1) the size of planet Earth is finite; hence also its resources, and 2) Our nearest star, the SUN, will eventually die.

If growth is a zero sum business, then my growth must come at the expense of someone else. The object in modern societies seems to be to let that someone else be an as yet unborn person.

Now back to Soros' speech, oldtime. What's your view on his opinion that Germany should either go along with the Eurobond, or else leave the Euro? (You know me well enough to know already what my view is, and I have already expressed it when I wrote that "Soros has it right.")

4. A guy shorting the Euro heavily is suggesting that Europe's strongest nation GDP and export wise should just drop out from supporting it.

now I'm starting to see how Soros built his empire.

5. no, you are wrong on all accounts

sustainable growth is possible, even if the sun burns out, there will be another sun

once you start dividing up the finite pie it is a zero sum game, to the winner goes the spoils, big man wins, buy bigger guns

In the end I think you will see that George Herbert was a better economist than George Soros

Germany? not my problem

I am only interested in helping the poor

(in otherwords, you are way over my head, and I don't have an intelligent reply, but I like you...carry on)

6. piezoe

piezoe

Well he did say Germany exiting was a second choice. Either way the Euro will weaken. Soros may have already shorted the Euro. But nevertheless his advice is, in my opinion, good advice. My thinking is that austerity won't work, and sooner or later one or the other of Soros' recommendations will be put in play. It is the right way to go.

7. zdreg

zdreg

why should germany leave by itself? as i and others have previously suggested there should be a northern euro and a southern latin euro +greece + france.

8. clacy

clacy

The EU has three choices:

-Significant Deflation
    -Weaker Euro via monetization
    -Implosion

I'm not sure which route offers the least pain. In all likelihood, they all offer the same amount of pain, it's just a matter of who and when.

9. zdreg

zdreg

for politicians the choice is made how it will affect them in the next elections and what soroes tells them(hopefully not).

10. It's collectivism at it's best! That's where we all give what we don't have to each other!

#10     Apr 10, 2013