Soros quote on tail risk

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Daal, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Daal

Daal

upload_2020-11-8_8-25-21.png

I find it interesting that Taleb makes a living off something that Soros said in 1995 in the book Soros on Soros

.sigma likes this.
  2. tomorton

tomorton

Maybe nobody needs more than one good idea. Maybe it doesn't have to ne original. But I found Taleb's self-referential egotistical style more and more annoying to the point where I can't any longer read him.

3. piezoe

piezoe

In my opinion, Soros comes closer to a perfect understanding of financial markets than anyone I know of. There is a specific reason I believe this. His books have been among the very few of the many I have read that were of substantial help in both investing and trading. I began to do well in the markets after I read as much soros as I could get my hands on. You won't get any recipes for getting rich from him, you will get an understanding of the markets that is different from what we are commonly fed by the financial industry.

Besides his contributions to correct understanding of markets, he is arguably the single most important philanthropist in the world in promoting political climates all over the globe that make exercise of one's free will possible. He is a staunch opponent of totalitarian governments everywhere, although his philanthropic contributions have been focused chiefly in Eastern Europe and the U.S. He founded the important Central European University in Hungary, which is now under attack from the Orbán administration. He has withstood years of constant assault on his character by the totalitarian governments he opposes. He is one of my personal heroes.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    comagnum, qlai and murray t turtle like this.
  4. %%
    Mr Soros has one of the greatest quotes// '' markets have a bias''
    But I got a lot more from his hedge fund partner = James [jim] Rogers interviews /Jack Schwager. Even though mr Rogers was a bit early buying MSFT in the pandemic panic/LOL...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….[Matter of public knowledge/elite trader link somewhere]
    Interesting mr Soros got outraged when FOX news called him ''a far left billionare''/LOL

5. zdreg

zdreg

You are not married to him. You are merely trying to learn from him.

.sigma and murray t turtle like this.
  6. %%
    True;
    but an elephant size ego on a bear IS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. And while I like animal illustrations+ that can be quite productive;
    his 1 million trader typing monkeys or whatever his math was , can come up with Shakesphere= is nonsense also.But in a world of white swans watch out for his unusual black swan pattern...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

7. piezoe

piezoe

I would guess the outrage is coming from different definitions of "far left". It would be an understatement to say that some of the Fox commentators and news personnel use political labels rather imprecisely. Mr. Soros is a capitalist who champions open government and mixed economies. He favors letting governments handle those parts of the economy that can't meet the necessary criteria for a well-functioning free market, and turning everything else over to the private sector. But he is not a "laissez faire" capitalist.

His academic training is in economics and philosophy (LSE), his working experience is in banking and finance and as a hedge fund manager. His passion is philosophy and a tireless commitment to freeing mankind from the reins of totalitarian government.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    .sigma and murray t turtle like this.
  8. %%
    FOX is flawed??
    CNN\cbs is much more crooked; but FOX's fake prejudged call AZ for Senator Biden is flawed/fake. Judicial Watch + ACLJ are investigating[NOT obvious FOX flaws\\ but voter fraud in AZ]

EminiMizer likes this.
  9. tomorton

tomorton

I just can't read any more books by this big-headed d1ck. He might be a good economist but as an author who wants to sell another book to me, he's sh1t, I will never read another word he has to say. I got it the first time round, after that he's just waving his d1ck around.

10. jys78

jys78

I thought he lived off his wife's money?

#10     Nov 9, 2020