Soros, ignorant in economic theory?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Daal, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Oh dear, why is it every pseudo intellectual falls back on their rudimentary understanding of quantum mechanics to try and impress?
    But to answer your question as seriously as it deserves..... perhaps Schrodinger's cat has my tongue

#41     Dec 16, 2006
  2. Actually you are incorrect. I quote from a recent LSE publication:

"George Soros (BSc Philosophy 1951 and PhD Philosophy 1954) is to donate $50m (£26.7m) to help tackle poverty and Aids in Africa. Mr Soros pledged to hand the cash to the United Nations' (UN) Millennium Villages Project over five years."

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/al...tions/eNewsletters/alumniNewsletterMich06.htm

A BSc in philosophy is not just taking philosophy as an elective, it is the main subject.

You may want to get your facts right before calling people liars.

#42     Dec 16, 2006
  3. When using logic, or the science of correct reasoning, one can conclude for every buyer there is a seller, for every cause there is an effect. One could logically come to that conclusion through experiment, i.e. a trade.

As for trading, discerning what the market is telling you can be a whole different story. The discipline to recognize all of the variables involved and successfully execute a profitable trade requires correct logic.

Now whether or not the markets are rational is a different story.

As for Soros, he states "understanding reality, and financial markets in particular, is a never-ending process," which seems to me that this is an individual who hasn't closed the book on learning (no pun intended). That is a lesson to learned in itself.

The contributions published by Soros should not be worshiped nor overlooked.

#43     Dec 16, 2006
  4. edit: contributions to finance:)

#44     Dec 16, 2006
  5. An economy's health is the net result of a series of countervailing forces. The passage you quoted is broad-brush, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Previous posters have already pointed out why.

#45     Dec 16, 2006
  6. George Soros is a member of the Council of Foreign Relations !

probably explains why he's so 'good' in his investments !

#46     Dec 16, 2006
  7. :confused: ignorance

#47     Dec 16, 2006
  8. The grammar police always arrive when a debate is lost

#48     Dec 16, 2006
  9. where did u get that from?

enough said.

(ps. remark on aristotle, - the nature of things, including man. Had nothing to do with investing or portfolio theory. don't be an idiot.)

#49     Dec 16, 2006
  10. Daal

Daal

And they are wrong. The US economy has long being a internal demand driven economy.
    It doesn't depend on exports, just look of how much of GDP is depended on exports.

Heck look at the trade deficit, if the US were any depended on exports it would be on a permant recession.
    Soros sound like a congressman preaching nonsensical talk in order to establish protectionist policies.
    A decrease in exports by a strong dollar is MORE than balanced by the fact you people can buy just about anything cheaply and have more DISPOSABLE income to drive the service sector

#50     Dec 17, 2006