Soon the grocery store will only be for top traders...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Port1385, May 28, 2008.

1. You should know that grocery stores have some of the smallest margins of any category of business. Look instead to Costco (COST) and Wal-Mart (WMT) as the masses flock to big box discount one-stop retailers.

#31     May 29, 2008
  2. The grocery stores definitely price gouge here in san diego however. Much of the produce is grown locally in the central valley, yet the prices have doubled in the last year. this is for non energy intensive stuff like fruit. i paid 3.69 for a tomato yesterday.

how do i know they are gouging? I have started driving over to one of the local mexican neighborhoods (golden heights) to shop occasionally. Produce, and chicken are literally half price in the grocery stores there.

BTW, paid 4.10 per gallon of gas yesterday.

#32     May 29, 2008
  3. Wow, just wow. Are you so upset about your neighbor eating steaks that you want the entire American middle class to become poverty stricken government moochers? You can bet with oil at $500 barrel only the elite rich even in America will be driving cars and decimating the auto industry. Airlines will all shut down putting hundreds of thousands into the unemployment line. Plastic will be so expensive that no one will be able to afford computers, tv's, stereo's, etc. putting hundreds of thousands more out of work. So basically you hope the US becomes a third world country just so your neighbor will "change his behavior". Thats a bit extreme don't you think? I hope your neighbor decides he wants meant bad enough that his neighbor (you) starts to look tasty.

#33     May 29, 2008
  4. Forget the grocery stores, maybe even short them. You want to buy stock in places like dollar tree, big lots, costco, maybe walmart too.

#34     May 29, 2008
  5. For ONE tomato?
    Here in Northern Ky (The southern california of the south, lol) gas prices aren't too far off. $3.95/gal for regular. Your tomato was overpriced but living in San Diego is worth whatever premium over living anywhere else.

#35     May 29, 2008
  6. I think you probably mean $3.69/lb not $3.69/tomato.

#36     May 29, 2008
  7. dcvtss

dcvtss

I do the same thing in Maryland, limes are 7 for $1 at the latino market vs 50 cents a piece at Safeway. The produce is usually fresher too.

#37     May 29, 2008
  8. make more money.. pretty simple

#38     May 29, 2008
  9. We're paying the equivilent of $4.90-5.10 a gallon, in Canada. Damn taxes...

LOL.

#39     May 29, 2008
  10. buy low. sell high.

it's easy

#40     May 29, 2008