Soon it will cost $1 million to go to College

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Oct 26, 2011.

Are education costs out of control?

1. Yes. It cannot continue.

68 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No. Grants, scholarsphips etc take care of the difference.

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. I don't know.

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. I don't care.

24 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. nitro

nitro

#41     Aug 19, 2013
  2. #42     Aug 19, 2013
  3. I have three better words- GET A JOB

#43     Aug 19, 2013
  4. what is a "land man"?

what is a "road worrier"?

#44     Aug 19, 2013
  5. piezoe

piezoe

You don't want to pay for an expensive private college or University? Then don't. There are many very fine public colleges and universities your children can attend at a fraction of the cost.

I have pointed this out many times in this and other threads here on ET. I'll do it once again. With some exceptions for certain private institutions, the cost of tuition, on average, for public institutions, has to a very close approximation just kept up with the actual inflation being experienced by institutions of higher learning. When reductions in State and local subsidies are taken into account most institutions have seen a decline in constant-dollar funding in spite of tuition increases. Higher education remains a good bargain for those attending State institutions.

The gee whiz numbers you see in the press all come from using artificially low government inflation numbers. For the actual inflation rate experienced by America's Colleges and Universities, and America's families as well, see www.shadowstats.com.

In the U.S. the main driver of long term inflation has been deficit spending. The main drivers of deficit spending have been medical costs twice the average of the other 13 industrialized nations and military spending nearly as great as all other nations combined. Fix these two problems and you will fix the entire U.S. economy including the jobs problem. There is more than enough money. It's in the wrong places.

#45     Aug 19, 2013
  6. Bob111

Bob111

:p :p :p :p :p

yeah..it's only about 25-30K a year..bargain indeed :p
    if you want to be on the top (salary wise-ie doctor\lawyer)-there is no way ' around' it. you (or your parents ) have to pay top dollars.
    the credits that you get at shitty state school(which will cost you around 15-20K)-you can shovel them in your a**..they are worthless..
    switching between community and state for those two fields above won't fly either. the courses are too weak and wont be accepted by state college(forget about anything above that level).

the education system circle is rock solid in US. it's a golden goose for many many leches..and works just like everything else(health care in your own example in other thread)

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=277566&perpage=6&pagenumber=2

#46     Aug 19, 2013
  7. Agreed. Piezoe might be correct about educational costs tracking the "real inflation rate" (something his bird brained brethren, Ricter won't ever admit to)...but that doesn't change the fact that public institions of higher education are extremely overpriced as well.

It must be nice to pontificate about all of this shit as a 70 year old retiree taking in a government pension.

#47     Aug 19, 2013
  8. piezoe

piezoe

That's high. Do you perhaps live in New York State? If you look up the average tuition and fees at State Universities it is running between 8 and 9 thousand per year (~$8600) When you add in room and board you get around 14K/yr average. It is expensive, but still, on average, a pretty good deal. And doable for most people regardless of income.

If you live in a high cost State you may be stuck with much higher costs. There is not much you can do about that, because generally you'll get stuck with higher out of State tuition if you send your kids out of State.

#48     Aug 20, 2013
  9. igotcash

igotcash Guest

1 million in NOTHING. 10 million is NOTHING.

you will meet your dream wife. priceless.
    talk to kids about changing the world. priceless
    throw up in a stranger's car. priceless
    dream about making billions. priceless
    learn to talk to other humans.........

if you don't go, you may make money, but you will be dumb and unable to speak to the rich. they will know you are uneducated, and you will be an outcast for eternity.

truck driver can make 200,000 a year. who cares.

#49     Aug 20, 2013
  10. Bob111

Bob111

books(buying used ones won't fly in most cases),meal plan and some pocket money and here we go-20K. my son is in the college right now. i know all the numbers. that's for a s**y college. next level-slightly better-25-30K. people are buying life insurance to protect their kids.if they die-there is should be enough money to pay the bills and college. i bought life insurance for my son because at those tuition prices-i really want to protect my investment.
    it's sounds awful,but it's a new reality.

#50     Aug 20, 2013