Soon it will cost $1 million to go to College

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Oct 26, 2011.

Are education costs out of control?

1. Yes. It cannot continue.

68 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No. Grants, scholarsphips etc take care of the difference.

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. I don't know.

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. I don't care.

24 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. The cost for college should be a concern. I read somewhere that tuition rise some 6% after inflation, for no reason. I also think that for 80% or so of jobs in the world one does NOT need a college education in the slightest. It seems to me college education is a big bubble. Colleges raise prices, which means employers have to increase salaries to cover the debt people have when they get out, which increases inflation etc.

On the other hand. I'm in college and having the time of my life. Girls, booze, girls, meeting friends, girls, networking, girls, figuring out what you really want to do, girls, moving out/growing up, girls, learning new things, girls...

In all seriousness college is a great experience, and worth the money (so far) but is it worth the money when you get out?

#31     Oct 26, 2011
  2. the1

the1

They used to have a terrific Trading program but they've scaled it back in recent years. In fact, that's was drew me to the school initially but I decided to enroll in the Mathematical Finance program instead. I definitely made the right choice. These are the only two classes I could find in the trading program now. There were about 8 when I attended the school.

http://www.stuart.iit.edu/graduateprograms/ms/finance/concentrations/trading.shtml

This is the program I completed but it's also changed slightly since I went there.

http://www.stuart.iit.edu/graduateprograms/ms/finance/course_descriptions.shtml

You got much farther than I did at GS. I didn't even get a thank you letter for submitting my resume LOL. Notta, zilch, but you're right, we pull from the same pool of clients but just on a smaller scale.

#32     Oct 26, 2011
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

The reason is called easy credit. Basicly anyone can get a student loan. So when there are too many kids able to afford college, the price goes only one way.

And having too many people with degrees lessens the value of the college degree...So you pay more and it is worth less....

#33     Oct 26, 2011
  4. piezoe

piezoe

all quite true.

#34     Oct 26, 2011
  5. nitro

nitro

#35     May 8, 2013
  6. This is the most important part: you can jump through all the hoops they set up for you, and STILL be jobless.

#36     May 8, 2013
  7. If the government really wantd to help students, they could set up a totally online university and not charge for it. Think of the savings. Instead of student loans, the Dept of Education website could just redircet yout o their online school. Traditional bricks and mortar schools would have to actually compete on the basis of value, leading to a drastic decline in tuition costs.

#37     May 8, 2013
  8. This is part of what's driving the growth of online degrees. They used to be a joke (and some still are) but are increasingly viable alternatives to brick and mortar college.

Even if you think online degrees aren't as good as traditional college, the competition they create is real and beneficial. It'll never cost $1M except maybe at ivy leagues; even then I'm not so sure.

#38     May 8, 2013

9. Was just at a college fair with my daughter. The Harvard table was manned by 2 young Harvard grads (about 5 - 8 years out of school) that looked like fighter pilots. In shape, positive, smart.

But even at Harvard (read: HARVARD), one of the young guys was telling me he couldn't find a decent job, so he was going back to school for his MBA.

The internet has changed Everything.

Massive college debt will be the biggest financial mistake of your LIFE. Not convinced? What mistake could be bigger?

#39     May 8, 2013
  10. piezoe

piezoe

I have pointed this out many times in this and other threads here on ET. I'll do it once again. With some exceptions for certain private institutions, the cost of tuition, on average, for public institutions, has to a very close approximation just kept up with the actual inflation being experienced by institutions of higher learning. When reductions in State and local subsidies are taken into account most institutions have seen a decline in constant-dollar funding in spite of tuition increases. Higher education remains a good bargain for those attending State institutions.

The gee whiz numbers you see in the press all come from using artificially low government inflation numbers.

In the U.S. the main driver of long term inflation has been deficit spending. The main drivers of deficit spending have been medical costs twice the average of the other 13 industrialized nations and military spending nearly as great as all other nations combined. Fix these two problems and you will fix the entire U.S. economy including the jobs problem. There is more than enough money. It's in the wrong places.

#40     May 8, 2013