Soon it will cost $1 million to go to College

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Oct 26, 2011.

Are education costs out of control?

1. Yes. It cannot continue.

68 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No. Grants, scholarsphips etc take care of the difference.

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. I don't know.

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. I don't care.

24 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Some pointers...

1. Education is an investment in the future and should be treated as such.
    2. You can (and will) always find ways to get educated on a budget.
    3. When the dollar weakens, everything's price measured with it( including education), goes up...

#21     Oct 26, 2011
  2. she was hot!

#22     Oct 26, 2011
  3. the1

the1

And mine from IIT :D And just for kicks, I applied to GS a while back as well and included copies of my trading records. This was back in the day when you mailed in your resume. Phone never rang LOL. No Ivy League education even though the program at IIT compares with that at MIT.

#23     Oct 26, 2011
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Seems to me if government would stop subsidizing college tuition with grants, student loans and the like. The laws of supply and demand would have caused a drastic reduction in tuition's already.

#24     Oct 26, 2011
    m1nt likes this.
  5. mikeenday

mikeenday Guest

IIT -> India Institute of Technoligis??

#25     Oct 26, 2011
  6. piezoe

piezoe

Naturally increasing cost of higher education should be a concern.
    However, the cost increase, leaving out California, is right at the real inflation rate, or possibly a little lower, depending on whose figures you use. I don't see how anyone can expect the better State institutions to increase in cost below inflation unless they are more heavily subsidized, and right now most States are struggling. Many Universities have had the budgets whacked. It is a bit surprising that they have been able to get by with only a 7% increase, which again is in line with real inflation (not core inflation of course.)

I think these education costs seem more burdensome mainly because ability to pay them is declining, rather than the increases being especially out of line.

Should we be more concerned about costs that are rising significantly faster than inflation. e.g., healthcare (more accurately known as "sickcare")?

#26     Oct 26, 2011
  7. the1

Shit, ....GS flew me into Manhattan to interview me, looked at my resume again, my education again asked me a few questions and gave me a nice "Don't Think So", followed up with a rejection letter. A nice one however.. I still have the rejection letter.

nevertheless, I'm playing their game on a small level but dealing with the same "Wealth" pool that they pull from.

In fact, one of my questions, after getting to know my client is...how is GS treating you. I either get a little chuckle or I get a "What are you talking about, then a little chuckle.

We are all pulling from the same wealth source.

#27     Oct 26, 2011
  8. ITT in Chicago...do they not have a great "Trading" TA program?

I use to hear a lot about it from CME towers...where the king TA himself offices.

Shit to think about it....that was back in the Day's when Dennis Richard was at SPIKE in the Towers..

Fuck...im getting old.

#28     Oct 26, 2011
  9. piezoe

piezoe

That's a very interesting observation Crispy. Somewhat true, but not entirely of course. Depends on the State and ones particular financial circumstances. Some scholarships are means tested, some are not. In some Sates students who score above a specified threshold on the SAT or ACT go tuition free, but of course they may have other associated expenses. I think Louisiana is perhaps one of them. (Seems too progressive for Louisiana, doesn't it?).

But the observation is astute nevertheless. Prior the Johnson's "Great Society" about 38% of high school graduates went to four year colleges and universities. Now the percent is much higher, and colleges, and particularly universities, have expanded their offerings to accommodate this influx of students, who in prior times would not have been there.

In general it is true however, that a student who scores well on the ACT or SAT can qualify to get most, if not all, of their tuition paid via grants and scholarships. They must apply early, and once admitted they must keep their grades up. Students who score very high on the admission exams will have the opportunity to attend virtually cost free-- books and tuition paid. They may have some living expenses to pay if they are not in their home town.

So, when we are talking about the high cost of attending college we are really talking about the students whose parents have the means to pay or students scoring below some threshold on the admissions exams.

#29     Oct 26, 2011
  10. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

As someone with a liberal arts background, the degree makes you more well rounded but you are at a real disadvantage getting a decent job out of undergrad. Someone mentioned some exceptions, but a business degree does set you up for an average job at least. You have to make things happen yourself if you're liberal arts grad.

Unless you are going to a top 25 university, there's no excuse to go private. Public universities are almost always better than private anyway and you can pay for most of it working part-time.

#30     Oct 26, 2011