Soon Honda Civics and Corollas will only be for the rich

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Port1385, May 16, 2008.

1. The Honda Accord comes very close to the look and feel of the BMW 330i. The Honda in V-6 coupe version is especially potent and can get you to 60 in less then 6 seconds.

My opinion from driving the coupe version of the 6 cyl Honda vs. the BMW 330i was that the Honda had only a slightly muted driving experience. The experience in the Honda was still fun and it was definately plenty fast.

The Acura TL Type S will definately keep pace and even beat out the BMW 330 series.

Only recently has BMW introduced the 335 series which now outclasses the Accord and TL with a sub-5 0 to 60. Im certain Honda will answer with an even more powerful V-6.

The real test is when you roll open your garage door and have to travel about in the snow and/or rain. The rear-wheel drive BMW is only good for a place like SoCal or Florida. In the north, you definately need front-wheel drive. I have seen plenty of BMWs spin out on the highway or simply not able to make it through. I wouldnt place my family in a BMW on a snowy highway.

#31     May 18, 2008
  2. I have to disagree - I bought my 325i new in early 2005 and it only has the traction control, not the 4 wheel drive. Before I bought it, I thought that I would need the 325xi for the 4 wheel drive, but not once have I spun out during our Chicago winters. My wife can even drive it fine in the snow/ice and she has a tendency to wreck anything. It handles just as well, if not better than our front-wheel drive 2004 Honda Accord EX in the snow (also with traction control).

#32     May 18, 2008
  3. Amen, TraderZones! I wholeheartedly agree with you. My family proudly owns three old Toyota Corollas ('98, '01, and '02) even though we could afford far nicer cars. Reliability and fuel efficiency are at the top of my priority list. The money we save driving 4-cylinder Hondas and Toyotas is invested and grown. It bothers me to see Americans living so well while people living on a few dollars a day or less in other countries suffer so much without complaint.

They've raised the base prices of the 10th generation (2009+) Corolla about $2k over the 9th generation (2003-2008). If wages continue to remain stagnant and prices rise for years to come, new Corollas will no longer be that affordable for the frugal middle class and poor. The new "Corolla Dream Estate" ads (http://www.toyota.com/corolla/demos.html?exp=true) have the tagline of living luxuriously for pennies.

#33     May 19, 2008
  4. Dobbes

Dobbes

Why get a smartcar when you can get a minicooper for marginally more. Seriously, go compare the MPGs and such.

#34     May 19, 2008
  5. Dobbes

Dobbes

Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/28/autos/smart_for_usa/

You get 2 more seats, a lot more safety, and a BMW backed car for like 2500 more.

And here are reviews
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/a...rtwo-ny.html?_r=1&ref=automobiles&oref=slogin

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/automobiles/autosreviews/11-smart-fortwo-la.html?ref=automobiles

I don't see why you would get one of these over a mini, cancel before its too late!

#35     May 19, 2008

6. Wow, that fuel economy is rather pathetic for such a small car. Plus, it doesn't look safe at all.

$15k for that? No thanks. Maybe for sub $10k perhaps....

Yaris is a much better value.

Mini is a lot of fun to drive.

#36     May 19, 2008
  7. All those who bought, are buying or loving BMW, Porche, or any luxury cars are idiots, I don't care how rich you are.

You are paying premium money and wasting more gas for nothing.

You can't drive more than 75mph (or maybe 90mph in some states) on the road if the speed limit is 55mph.

No car is not any more comfortable than Honda ACCORD, or any car.

#37     May 19, 2008
  8. Then what do I make money for? Most people spend it on something they enjoy - regardless of whether it depreciates or not.

Those piss-ant Smart cars or hybrids don't get that much better gas mileage - let me know when they're getting 100mpg.

:D

#38     May 19, 2008
  9. precisely, although I don't see the point of the smartcar or emini cooper. They are deathtraps. And their price/MPG is not much better than a base civic.

#39     May 19, 2008
  10. Why get a mini cooper when you can get a civic for less money, similar mileage, legendary resale/reliability, better looking, more room and MUCH safer.

#40     May 19, 2008