Sometimes I wonder why I even day trade...

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by VicBee, Nov 14, 2021.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

How much of a day traders returns are based on leverage? How much is based on different accounting?
    You lost 100percent of your account. That wasn’t really 100percent then if you had money on the sidelines.

if you took 100percent of your liquid assets (what a typical investor would employ) and didn’t have more notional than your account, what would your returns be?

#11     Nov 15, 2021
    tonyf, murray t turtle and taowave like this.
  2. virtusa

virtusa

I put in my account money that I could afford to lose. As an investor I would invest that same amount, not more.
    Depending on what you use as criteria you can always have the outcome you need to proof your case.
    I try to keep it simple. After the wipe out I started again with 10K. So total amount I ever invested in daytrading was 60K. Because of the leverage and the compounding I have now much more money then I would have had as an investor with 60K starting capital. Because of the high returns I also don't need to continue to compound; I could already spent a lot of money (what I would not be able to do as an investor) and still stay ahead of the investor who leaves all the profits in the investment.
    I trade/invest to spent money, not to grow it till the day I die.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    #12     Nov 15, 2021
  3. VicBee

VicBee

With the results I'm getting from that small account I'm debating buying a whole lot more shares, but today's price isn't what it was last year although lithium mining seems like a pretty safe bet in terms of demand and limited supply...

#13     Nov 15, 2021
  4. virtusa

virtusa

Be careful, because the next generation batteries that are in research now, will all be without lithium. Some of them are already in pre production stage.

#14     Nov 15, 2021
    murray t turtle and VicBee like this.
  5. tomorton

tomorton

I always say in my posts to new traders, don't even try day-trading until you are profitable on the dailies.

#15     Nov 15, 2021
  6. virtusa

virtusa

I don't agree.

Daytrading is completely different.

#16     Nov 15, 2021
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  7. SunTrader

SunTrader

Agree.

It's like saying don't even think about learning to ride a motorcycle without having learnt to drive a car first.

Two different things to accomplish the same task. Do both or either, in whatever order.

#17     Nov 15, 2021
    virtusa likes this.
  8. tomorton

tomorton

I agree, they are very different. But day-trading is harder. New traders cannot do it - or at least about 955 of them cannot do it.

But the point is that if they become profitable trading long-term off the dailies, they would have a better chance of succeeding at day-trading, in just the same way that linguists always find learning the third and fourth languages easier than the second. There are common principles across both. But in any case, if they become profitable in long-term trading, why go into day-trading anyway?

#18     Nov 15, 2021
  9. virtusa

virtusa

Because a good daytrader makes much more money. 10 to 100 times more.

#19     Nov 15, 2021
  10. maxinger

maxinger

After trying investing, swing trading, day trading stocks/options/futures,

I find day trading to be hard,
    and investing and swing trading to be very very hard.
    So I totally gave up investing and swing trading about 1.5 decades ago.

so traders have to try various things and see which one to give up
    (or perhaps give up everything).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    #20     Nov 15, 2021
    taowave and SimpleMeLike like this.