Something serious to consider . Will stock exchanges be shut down for a short period?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by hafez50, Mar 12, 2020.

1. hafez50

hafez50

I'm sure this thought is under serious consideration . It closed for 3-4 days 9-1 as i recall. The mkt is in a panic right now nobody has ever seen . 1/4 of the peoples stock wealth has been erased in 3 weeks. I think its a possibility .

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. On what basis? 9/11 must have been entirely different.

I can't see it happen, unless they make up some excuse such as stopping people from going to work entirely to prevent the virus from spreading further or if the US goes in complete lockdown similar to Italy.

But nice of you to bring it up. Who knows...

3. zdreg

zdreg

Exchange floors have disappeared. Most trades are upstairs. No need to close,

jys78 likes this.
  4. Metamega

Metamega

Probably some plans in place. Seen an article last night where they mentioned JP Morgan has kind of made an A and B team on 14 day rotations working from home and work. Idea I guess is control a workplace out break. Smart if it can work.

5. 2rosy

2rosy

considering a market is nothing more than a matching engine running on a computer and back office. no floor or office needed

d08 likes this.
  6. ktm

ktm

At some point this will shift from every organization trying to outdo each other with their eliminating people from venues, shutting down offices etc... to BALANCING prudent measures with ensuring stability and confidence in our continued way of life. Closing the market would simply send the message that the world is indeed coming to an end and everyone needs to freak out even more.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  7. gaussian

gaussian

Market is falling back to the point of value.

People have lost 25% of their wealth that was created using fraudulent techniques like rate cuts, rather than through investing in value issues that grow over time. There was so much fake value in the market. Dow 18k seems like a nice spot to stop.

Thor likes this.
  8. zdreg

zdreg

I suspect that people have lost a lot more than 25% if you ignore apple amazon facebook etc.

9. Thor

Thor

Very true.
    It has become the norm in all markets for govts/central banks/exchanges to push it up by hook or by crook.
    This fall will push prices back to their true value.

10. Cuddles

Cuddles

I drew some trend lines trying to asses the actual value of this market, starting to '00 & '09. Seems to intersect between the 2200 to 2400 level for the S&P, though that's not accounting for whatever damage will be coming up in the next few months...just extrapolating the slopes.

#10     Mar 12, 2020