Something is happening....Yen up 300 POINTS in 15 minutes...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by achilles28, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Just saw the headline on briefing - that's all I have - was just providing it in case it was useful to anyone.

#11     Mar 16, 2011
  2. Somebody knows something we don't.

#12     Mar 16, 2011
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Definitely. Thank you

#13     Mar 16, 2011
  4. achilles28

achilles28

That's all it takes. Find the right side of the market and hope it runs hard. That was a monster wave u caught. I didn't catch the big one but in now. Spreads are ridiculous

#14     Mar 16, 2011
  5. Wild spreads for sure. I'm flat now - no tolerance for this type of risk.

#15     Mar 16, 2011
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

maybe, but this is nothing more than margin calls and hedge carnage. rightly deserved, if you ask me. carry only works for so long.

#16     Mar 16, 2011
  7. Okay, ZeroHedge says rumor of Nikkei to close due to market volatility.

#17     Mar 16, 2011
  8. MARCH 16, 2011, 5:08 P.M. ET.WORLD FOREX: Dollar Hits Lowest Ever Vs Yen On Japan Nuclear Fears

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--The dollar hit its weakest ever level against the yen Wednesday, as Japan's unfolding nuclear crisis prompted speculators to bet that heavy repatriation flows will likely be needed to respond to a deepening disaster.

Overall, safe-haven currencies--paradoxically including the yen--soared in extremely volatile trading as traders took in new warnings about possible catastrophic events at Japan's crippled nuclear power plant.

The dollar fell as low as Y79.22 according to EBS via CQG, falling below its previous low of Y79.75, hit in April 1995. The dramatic move prompted traders to warn that the likelihood of currency intervention by Japan to curb yen strength had increased sharply.

Traders responded en masse to dire warnings from U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu who said he believed a "partial meltdown" occurred at the Japanese nuclear power plant damaged by explosions, malfunctions and radiation leaks following the earthquake.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110316-714956.html

#18     Mar 16, 2011
  9. I wonder if BOJ will step in. Or when.

#19     Mar 16, 2011
  10. DrEvil

DrEvil

We just took out USD/JPY low going back to 1994, in my opinion, there were heavy duty stops under there ... that's all it was.

#20     Mar 16, 2011