someone stole my f*#$ing car radio tonight

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Well done LongShot.....nice job.

#31     Dec 8, 2002
  2. Yes.. there are some morons out there that do not deserve a driver's license as well as a firearm... but infringing a right from someone goes against what our country is based on... our constitutional rights.

quite frankly, you don't have to be convinced:D It's our constitutional right to bear arms. You do not have to agree, but may need to accept it. If not, well you're also free to live somewhere else.

#32     Dec 8, 2002
  3. "some", i'd say a LOT. MOST.

#33     Dec 8, 2002
  4. I must agree with that... but that should be no reason to take away our rights. I can understand where you're comin from. I used to be against guns when I was younger. I wish there was some way we could meet halfway... dunno if that's possible though.

Andy

#34     Dec 8, 2002
  5. tampa

tampa

So tell me Andy, do you have a right to carry a fire arm in my house?

How about a church, a school, a bank?

Do you have a right to walk down the street carrying a fire arm?

Do you have a right to carry a fire arm in Times Square? Or while driving through Virginia?

The answer is no. How can that be? The answer to that question is that the NRA is full of shit, and so are it's members who talk about their Constitutional rights.

In each of the questions above, the answer is dictated by the States for example you can walk down the street in Arizona with your six shooter, but I wouldn't try that in Florida. And when they throw your ass in jail up in New York City, try telling the Judge about your 2nd Amendment Rights - or better yet, ask the NRA to speak iin your behalf. They won't - want to know why? Because they don't have a valid argument to offer in court, and they know it.

So Andy, are you going to be man enough to admit that you and the NRA are full of crap on this one, or are you going to continue living a lie?

#35     Dec 8, 2002
  6. So tell me Andy, do you have a right to carry a fire arm in my house? If you let me :)

How about a church, a school, a bank? I don't think I can

Do you have a right to walk down the street carrying a fire arm? Yes I do... just have to get a Concealed carry permit.

Do you have a right to carry a fire arm in Times Square? Or while driving through Virginia? No... concealed carry permit is only valid for my state only :-(

So are you saying the people in congress always makes the best decisions for us? Are we to expect the government to take care of our every need and to rely on them for our protection? Do you think it's possible for those who wrote the constitutional right gave Americans the right to bear arms to prevent the government taking power over us? I didn't pay much attention in school so correct me if I'm wrong... didn't the Pilgrims leave Europe because they didn't want their government to control their lives anymore? Wasn't the goal to achieve freedom?

I have no idea what life was like for them back in Europe. Whatever they experienced, it made them think about every single Amendment they engraved into every U.S. citizen.

You may come up with great arguments and prove me wrong, but you cannot take away my rights. Sad fact is that it's happening too.

I respect with what you have to say. I mean you have the right to speak freely, and I'm glad that you're exercising your right. I'm sure you vote as well, and I'm pleased that you do. Whether I agree with you or not, at least you're trying to do what you feel is right. That is who runs our country right... the american citizens? Some people may get hurt from the first amendment... people have even been killed over it, but I don't think it's worth to give up that right. I know many people have been hurt and traumatized by firearms, but I don't feel it's worth giving up.

Andy

#36     Dec 8, 2002
  7. does anyone think that maybe it's time to tinker with the Constitution just a bit? you know what i mean, bring it up to date and align it with current affairs. our founding fathers were not infallible and didn't have the market cornered on wisdom.

#37     Dec 8, 2002
  8. there have been arguments/discussions on things like this in the bible. I mean it said that you shouldn't eat red meat, but now it's ok because we have a way to preserve its freshness.

so yea... i can accept the idea of tinkering with some things because things are different now. I'm just not sure about this issue though. I could be ignorant... but honestly, the safety of my family comes first. This is what's most important to me.

Longshot... I like your approach to this topic. Shows humility :D

Andy

#38     Dec 8, 2002
  9. dude, nothing personal, but imo your line of thinking here is absurd.

1) what better solution do YOU have??

2) i'll tell you right now what the solution is. people should be aware of what the punishment is for bad behavior, that they will pay a high price for it, and that it will be enforced. as it is right now, i have basically no idea what will happen to me for any crime. i don't know which crimes send me to jail, how many times i can screw up, what the sentences are, parole, etc. we should simplify our punishment system so that everyone has a general idea of what will happen to them if they don't obey laws.

once that is done, if someone breaks the law and does it again, send them back longer this time. it's one thing to make a mistake, but it's another to live your life knowing you're repeatedly breaking the law. if someone steals my car radio, the punishment should be severe. yeah, a radio isn't a big deal, but so what; they shouldn't be stealing my radio in the first place. they made the DECISION to do it. if they get caught, TOO FUCKING BAD. why would anyone feel bad for a criminal that made the decision to break the law?

if a person steals my radio, and then gets caught stealing another one, they should be sent back to jail even longer. eventually they either get the point and change, or they waste their life in jail; it's their decision. i have no trouble at all with people living in jail if they knew the consequences and still decided to break the law.

society is for the people who are willing to play by the rules and obey our laws. it should NOT be ruined by a few who are unwilling to respect the law and other people. as it is right now, we are WAY too lenient on criminals. why should we go easy on crime? nobody forced the person to steal my radio; they made the choice to do it. if they were to get put in jail for 5 years, i wouldn't care one bit. and if when he gets out he does it again, send em back for 10.

think about it, would you go around stealing car radios tonight if you KNEW you would go to jail for 5 years if you got caught? no questions asked, no parole, none of the nonsense. if you got caught, mandatory 5 years. and if you do it again, you're in jail for 10 years this time. take this example and apply it appropriately for all crime. are you going to tell me that wouldn't help society??

i'm not going to put another good radio in my car now. the chances i will lose it and get my car wrecked in process are too high. the criminal has won.

#39     Dec 8, 2002
  10. i like the way you think gordon. if someone is stealing your radio you should have the right to BLOW THEM AWAY!!:mad:

#40     Dec 8, 2002