Someone cleaned up my IB account (almost)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Mishka, May 6, 2002.

1. jaan

jaan

alanm,

yes, i basically agree with you, except with this:

...because encryption, if implemented properly, will render packet sniffing useless, too.

put it another way: i think it would be more secure to email a link to the (https-protected) report on their site, than to download the report, unencrypted, over TWS.

- jaan

#81     May 12, 2002
  2. i think IB solved your problem the main thing is how to be good daytrader

#82     May 23, 2002
  3. Those attempts to "get in" were packets hiting your computer, mostly probably they were pings, probes from local email and news servers, ftp attempts, etc. Just because a packet is hitting your computer doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that someone is hacking you. There are many companys, people, programs, etc, that do ping sweeps, and other types of port sweeps for completely innocuous reasons, it also isn't illegal to probe a persons computer. You should probably just turn the confirmation off completely. Why? Because it someone is good they will use malformed packets to hack or ping you and ZA won't even spot them, most likely.

I think that is a local system service, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd be suprised if TWS doesn't create an encypted tunnel, it is so easy to do, why would they not do it.

My guess to what happened it that Miska had a trojan, that was sniffing passwords. In such a situation, there really isn't anything at all that IB could have done. It is almost completely, in such cases, the fault of the person infected. Mishka, if you are reading this I advise you to format your disk drives, reinstall windows, install a anti-virus package, install zone alarm, and change all your passwords AFTER you have reinstalled your OS and scanned it.

Good luck!

#83     May 23, 2002
  4. I asked him several times if he had a trojan. No answer. Well ...

#84     May 23, 2002
  5. Mishka

Mishka

Today I received the proof that my attacker frequent this site, reading this thread. Feels strange to know.
    "..What you said can be used against you in a court of ...."
    Beware.

#85     May 23, 2002
  6. Mishka,

Would you care to elaborate? I for one would like to know if you determined the nature of how you were compromised. Others could benefit from this information as well. Did you have a trojan? Did someone have physical access to your computer. Did you tell your password to your ex- girlfriend? What's the deal?

Mike

#86     May 23, 2002
  7. Mishka

Mishka

I belive my "friend" might explain much better how it was done . Yes, he/she is here.

#87     May 23, 2002
  8. I'm assuming that this person was not a friend of yours by the "he/she" statement. Come on, give us the story.

Mike

#88     May 23, 2002
  9. Mishka

Mishka

Full story is spread over the pages of this thread. How I was compromised I can only guess, still working on it. Ask my "friend" for true confession.
    Hope IB really solved the problem.

#89     May 23, 2002
  10. Dear Miska's "friend"

Would you kindly create an alias and post the rest of this story.

Thanks,
    Mike

#90     May 23, 2002