Someone cleaned up my IB account (almost)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Mishka, May 6, 2002.

1. ddefina

ddefina

When I first installed Zone Alarm a couple years ago, I noticed a program from Microsoft trying to contact an outside server called "Distributed Com Services," on all my computers running win98 or older. Has anyone else seen this and know what it does? I notice its still blocked in my applications section in zone alarm.

#51     May 8, 2002
  2. ddef: have you tracert'ed the server ?
    it might be a MS "customer collector", however,
    if it is in XP too, you will not notice, because the
    generic win32 dll'd could have it implemented.

#52     May 8, 2002
  3. Mishka

Mishka

I was always on IB side, had little or none problems with them. But when I told them Monday morning someone broke into my account and tried to wire out my money, all I had is "OK, we'll cancell your wire. Anything else we can help you with?" Or similar. 3 hrs later I received notification from them that my e-mail preference was changed according to my request. Huh? And this is after I reported break in?!!! I asked them to do investigation, but received very "comforting" response that since the account was penetrated with my ID and my password, nothing they can do. Certainly I was not satisfied with that answer.
    I was the one who stopped that wire, have to give a credit to IB's automatic notification system, though. If not for this thread, this whole case would be placed under the rug.
    I want the answers:
    where is the hole,
    how it can be patched up,
    how to remove my private info from circulating around.
    I'm curious who actualy did it , but this is not my priority, because if hole is here many would do the same. If this hole is in the IB side, same can happend to any their customers.
    Terrorist attack or not, will see. Hope not, but cannot exclude the possibility, the Middle East address was involved. Today I talked to FBI agent, they will try to do something. Doubt on the results, this region has much bigger problems.

#53     May 8, 2002
  4. mktman

mktman

Lack of appropriate concern and response on the part of IB would lead me to say "ADIOS".
    Your security, satisfaction, high priority problem, and customer service seems to be of little value to them.
    Although IB may not be by itself in there response.
    Wonder how other OLB's would respond?

mktman

#54     May 8, 2002
  5. Actually, this kind of stuff is more of the resort of the US Secret Service: credit card fraud, electronic fraud, id theft, Nigerian scams etc...

http://www.ustreas.gov/usss/financial_crimes.shtml

#55     May 8, 2002
  6. Mishka

Mishka

I'd rather give another chance to old trusty lexus with known problems then switch to ford focus with unknown history....
    But have to fix that problems first.

#56     May 8, 2002
  7. def

def Sponsor

mishka,
    i am sorry that you think nothing has been happening on the front end and you should have rec'd better comfort from the person you dealt with. However, I can assure on the back end (i've seen a number of e-mails between legal/compliance etc), that your case has not been taken lightly and was/is immediately being investigated.

The mail regarding your address change was auto generated. FYI, immediately after your call as I understand your account was frozen.

#57     May 8, 2002
  8. gary

gary

?

#58     May 8, 2002
  9. gary

gary

Have u been the same def. along?

#59     May 8, 2002
  10. Mishka

Mishka

def,
    I described exactly what happend. It was real turn off how CS people handled it at the beginning. The original intentions of my initial post was not trashing IB, but to bring an attention to this matter for proper handling. All described amount of internal communications on this subject went on Tuesday, after your prompt. Thank you for your help.
    Monday 9 am my e-mail address was still my original, was switched around noon to fraudulent one couple hours AFTER I called them. I watched this like a hawk.

#60     May 9, 2002