Somebody tried to rip off my IB account and wire money to New Zealand

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Trajan, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon:
    I cannot find the info about the Secure ID program on the IB website. I tried the search tool as well but that didn't work. Can you please post a direct link to the info when you have the time?

Thanks.

-eLindy

#41     Nov 12, 2003
  2. BSAM

BSAM

Seems like a safe and logical solution.

Must add, I recently contacted IB concerning an account security issue and the CS person was helpful and seemed very concerned and interested. Maybe it depends on which one you come in contact with.

#42     Nov 12, 2003
  3. when there was a glitch, did you notice any black cats or other occurrences of dejavu on that date?

#43     Nov 12, 2003
  4. def

def Sponsor

elindy,
    the secure ID program is in the rollout phase (kind of post beta pre-production) where certain clients are being contacted and asked if they'd like to join up. an announcement and where to find details on the site will be made shortly.

#44     Nov 12, 2003
  5. Hittfeld

Hittfeld

Def, you are wrong! This system is used as a standard system in switzerland by Credit Suisse (and before by their online broking division YOUTRADE) successfully. I love it.

Just make sure, the card is neutral. Not even IB on it.

Its a pleasure to watch this company and its customer support growing.

Hittfeld

#45     Nov 12, 2003
  6. def

def Sponsor

thanks for that info. didn't know that and I'm fairly certain that those who thought it up didn't know that as well (and thus my claim). The good thing is that we're bringing the system to the masses and hopefully other brokers will do the same.

FYI, I've seen the cards and have a number of clients rave about them. They are black, roughly the size of a key ring and neutrally labelled.

#46     Nov 12, 2003
  7. Trajan

Trajan

Actually, the IB customer service guy was helpful to an extent; he walked me through changing everything and was on the phone with me for an hour. I wouldn't have said he was nonchalant if he had said that the company takes these things seriously. At the very least, he should have been more helpful in setting up a new account and I could have transfered my position to it immediately. I couldn't have him lockdown the account for 10 days, my position could cost me more than hacker tried to take, maybe tommorrow.

As far as security goes, I've had all the security junk on my machine. It was a trojan sitting there; looks like it came with codecs for XVID that I downloaded sometime last summer. Maybe it was the MPAA getting back at me for downloading movies. I thought I had been regularly scanning the hard drives, I guess the software wasn't up to date. I did scan my computer this afternoon with a fresh Norton and it didn't detect it . I had to get a trojanhunter to find it.

Interesting thing though, why would the hacker have blocked IB's address in my yahoo email? It must have been manually entered because it blocked the whole domain and not just the confirm address. Maybe he was trying to tell me I was being hacked. It happened the same time I transfer the account into there. Maybe he was really interested in my savvy trading?

Other than IB, my bank is damn near impossible to get any money out of. My password is different; I rarely ever log into it besides being nearly as useless as can be. However, I will call them in the morning to change accounts. I recently switched my home stash of cash from the freezer to a new undisclosed location.

We have no Kiwis on the board who have possibly heard of this firm Siddley?

#47     Nov 12, 2003
  8. The little garbage disposal thingie that Americans have in their kitchen sinks? Just remember not to turn it on accidentally.

#48     Nov 12, 2003
  9. Other things to look at is
    1 do you sell stuff on half.com or other site, they have your bank information for remitting money
    2 do you have paypal
    because your bank account information can be obtained from some of these sources.

#49     Nov 12, 2003
  10. Trajan, a couple questions if you get a chance. I'm a little concerned that Norton didn't find the trojan.

1. Do you recall what trojan the hunter found?

2. What software did you use, was it TrojanHunter3.7?

Thanks

#50     Nov 12, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.