Somebody tried to rip off my IB account and wire money to New Zealand

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Trajan, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I believe IB only sends money if the receiving account is in your name. The reason why the transfer in question did not go through was insufficient funds. But that does not mean that it would have gone through if only there had been enough money in the account. The names would still have had to match. But of course, a thief could have arranged that as well.

#11     Nov 11, 2003
  2. sprstpd

sprstpd

IB offers extra security but they might not offer it for all sized accounts. It involves IB sending you a physical device. Then when you want to withdraw money, IB "challenges" you with a number/string (given to you by IB's website) and you have to enter this number/string into your security device and it spits out a response. You have to type that response into the IB website to confirm the wire withdrawal. So someone could still rip you off, but they would have to physically steal your security device from you in order to do so.

#12     Nov 11, 2003
  3. The thing about the kind of spyware I was talking about is, it does not matter how secure the connection between your computer and your broker is of how secure your brokers servers are, as long as you enter the password using your keyboard, each keystroke will be intercepted and transmitted to the criminal, no matter if you are typing in a password or just working on a local Word document.

#13     Nov 11, 2003
  4. Exact, IB wire only at the same ID than the account's owner ID.

#14     Nov 11, 2003
  5. Do you have any idea how big your account would have to be
    in order to receive this "physical device"?

#15     Nov 11, 2003
  6. Does anyone know if the Internet Connection Firewall that is in
    XP is of any use? Does it help keep hackers out of your computer?

#16     Nov 11, 2003
  7. Bob111

Bob111

100% right. not only this, but they will send a money only to the bank,from they come from.
    same for checks, as far as know.
    but if someone have full access to ALL information-they probably will be able to change address, bank,wiring instructions.
    sonds like you trade on computer located in internet cafe, full of hackers))))))).

this one is good-

http://pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=8298&lngWId=1

http://www.vbcity.com/pubs/article.asp?alias=iespy

#17     Nov 11, 2003
  8. And when TWS starts up and it says something like:

"Processing security requests"

What in the heck does this mean? Does this mean you have to
    request extra security like the physical device mentioned above?

#18     Nov 11, 2003
  9. blb078

blb078

i don't know how good it is, but i use Norton Internet Security, it has antivirus and and an internet security program(it has a fireall built into it), it works great.

#19     Nov 11, 2003
  10. sprstpd

sprstpd

I wouldn't trust anything Microsoft when it comes to security given their past record.

#20     Nov 11, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.