Some thoughts on the stockmarket

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cutten, Jan 23, 2008.

1. SPX put in (tradable) what it looks like a bottom at 1276 today on 1/23/2008.

It failed to take out yesterday’s lows of 1275.58 by 0.19 basis points. That makes it a PIPE BOTTOM, a well-known chart pattern. You can refer to THOMAS BULKOWSKI book
    " Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns" for further reading on it.

The VIX did the same thing a PIPE TOP at 35-37 levels. You will see a pipe shooting up and it’s a bearish sign for VIX meaning we VIX will go down and markets will rally. Again refer to that book.

#11     Jan 23, 2008
  2. dozu888

dozu888

here we go.

bottom is confirmed.

buy buy buy !!!

#12     Jan 23, 2008
  3. dozu888

dozu888

good post...... investors need to remember not falling into this gigantic meat grinder where the brokerage firms, the media basically work hand in hand to scare the weak hands to surrender at low price, then entice them to buy at high price.

#13     Jan 23, 2008
  4. MKTrader

MKTrader

This is the first time in 20 years that P/Es have approached their historical (100+ year) averages. It's still a long way from 1980 (PEs around 8 or 9), but at least things aren't overvalued.

Personally, I'd like to see even better values (requiring a further drop), but it's a start.

I do think one of two things is happening, though. We're either hitting a bottom (short or intermediate term), or we're in a bear market that is stabilizing a bit. Either way, the hysterical calls for a 1987-style crash and outright panic should soon start fading.

#14     Jan 23, 2008
  5. I agree this is a spot for a bounce, probably nothing more than an oversold rally, the most vicious rally's occur in bear markets. I'm not sure why, but the refiners are begging me to buy them, as crude comes down, the crack spread should help them. Buying TSO and VLO right here.

#15     Jan 23, 2008
  6. Pita

Pita

I think that we are not done to the downside and there is a big sell off outstanding, nevertheless we can go down another 1000 points in the Dow and still there is no bear market. Recession along with subprime and interest rate crap is just the reason to clean out the market and therewith gives it a (this time) real fundamental reason to go where it belongs to and this is north. Not in form of a V-bottom probably and rather rangebound for a while. The globe has not seen a recession since Worldwar II and we wont have one before Worldwar III.

#16     Jan 23, 2008
  7. Well thought out post. This coincides with my sentiments as well.

Thanks for sharing.

#17     Jan 23, 2008
  8. RhinoGG

RhinoGG Guest

Bow down before the one you serve!

effing great post and spot the eff on!

#18     Jan 23, 2008
  9. mokwit

mokwit

I wonder if Market Cap/GDP gives an indication as to whether any artificial support will be able to support the market over the long term. My observation is that even in countries with much smaller market cap/GDP and thius greater Govy wealth/stock market float ratio the Govt/Institutional cartel was unable to hold the market up LT.

#19     Jan 23, 2008