Some Things I Learned About Automated Trading Systems From Writing a Poker Bot

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by pipscooper, Jul 6, 2005.

1. traderob

traderob

Party poker is not a small operation, they make net profts of miilions every day (far more than Etrade, lol), and have a team of fraud investigators. I don't think it is a hastily slammed together website .

#61     Jul 21, 2005
  2. One story to illustrate:

A few months back I was watching GBP during an illiquid time on the overnight session when it was just me and a couple of other small traders, and the computerized market maker programs bidding/offering size. The spread was like 4-5 pips, when a one lot came in to buy one pip below the ask. I hit the bid and immediately everything shifts down, and I am 6 pips in the money. After a minute or two I had a chance to get out by hitting the ask with 9 pips of profit. In reflecting back on that situation it is clear that this was a case where I held aces as my starting hand. The great thing about trading is that you don't have to play those aces to the river in order to get paid off. In this case the market reversed back to where it started and ended up higher, so that early profit was the best opportunity for profit for that trade.

#62     Jul 23, 2005

3. This may sound weird, but sometimes I look for stuff like this as an opportunity. After all, by definition, when players are colluding there is a lot of dead money in the pot ( the colluding player(s) bidding up the other one when their hand is crap ). This means a well played slow-play of the nuts can result in a huge jackpot.

So I just tighten up to the Rock of Gibraltar level, meaning you are never giving any action except when you have great cards. You play Sklansky-level starting hands. You don't raise your AA or KK hands, since the idiots will raise for you. You play all pairs looking for sets on the flop, you play all nut-flush cards (Axs) looking for flushes or flush draws.

You bail immediately on bad flops. You call good flops for your hand reluctantly as they raise and reraise each other. Then on the river when you get a boat or something locktight like the nut flush or nut straight, you raise the bastards on the end! A couple of hands like that can win a lot of money. I won over $20 on a 0.25-0.50 table just on 2 hands when I got top set which turned into a full house on the river, and landed the nut flush draw on the next hand.

Interestingly, the 3 "colluding players" all immediately fled the table after the second big hand like that :). The other players knew what I was doing, and we all enjoyed a good laugh at their expense.....

#63     Jul 26, 2005
  4. There are many existing auto trading software systems out there already including offerings from major on-linr brokers. NOTE: The trick is to develop your trading system.

#64     Aug 8, 2005
  5. many? name three of them please. :confused:

#66     Aug 29, 2005
  6. auto

auto

#67     Aug 29, 2005