some SEC people should go to jail for PDT (i'm only half joking)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gordon Gekko, Sep 11, 2003.

1. What is a "great" trader to you? Someone who makes a lot of money in the market? And when you say you're "on the verge" of becoming one, do you mean you're making money now but not a lot?

It doesn't take much to be able to punch the market for $$$ at will. You may already know that, or you may not. Once you get to that point, to get to a lot of money, however you define "a lot," doesn't take long.

In any case, you're pretty good at trading barbs . . . you've shown that . . . stocks and futures are another matter, though. Are you making money now? If not, why aren't you spending your energy learning how instead of wasting it on stupid stuff? You're obviously a bright guy and have what it takes to make money trading.

#31     Sep 15, 2003
  2. first of all, thanks for the comments.

i would say i already do put a lot of time into the markets. i've learned a lot and continue to learn. i really just want to be able to make a decent living and have freedom. i am not going to be someone who lives my life having 2 weeks of vacation a year. if i happen to make a lot of money, then that's just great.

as for ET, some may consider it a waste of time, but i definitely do not. i've learned a lot from this place...and not just about trading. i totally believe trading and visiting ET have made me a smarter person. although i registered GG in 2001, i was here even before that. i look at ET as a hang out for smart people. real traders are not dumb people. plus, out of all the things to do in life, we've all been drawn to trading. a little bit of us is probably the same in many of us.

#32     Sep 15, 2003
  3. The best thing you can learn from here is how NOT to do things.

ET is a great place to learn how the fish think. Especially the fish geniuses. :p

#33     Sep 15, 2003

4. ....that is where you are wrong....again......Look at almost anything in America and it can be said somebody elses rights are being trampled.....a small % of drivers get in accidents, yet now every driver has to wear a seat belt and have full insurance to drive...same with the SEC and and the KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER RULE.....even though a person wants to buy a stock or option, if you know it's not suitable you are not supposed to sell it to them...Again, Im not saying i like the rule, i don;t, it affects my business...but i also understand the roots from which it great and I BLAME ATTORNEYS for this rule.

#34     Sep 16, 2003