Some rant about brokers from black box developer

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by kanonka, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Dude, all I have to see is this...
    And I know your lazy ass will fail.

You would rather sleep than trade...
    But your competition would rather trade than sleep.

Not only that...
    Your Perpetual Motion Black Box is an uber-sub-optimal Fantasy...
    Guaranteed to start behind the curve...
    And continuously fall further behind the curve every single day.

Five years from now...
    You will be sleeping in the bus shelter outside my building.

#11     Apr 23, 2009
  2. I know you are actually being kind to him with these words as a kind of wake-up call....

but....

I might need to print your post out and paste it on my wall, because I'm also a delusional idiot sometimes. Thanks for the perspective.

#12     Apr 23, 2009
  3. maybe a positive attitude to life will get you a whole lot more than you trying to seek it from others giving it to you.

Just some personal life experience...

#13     Apr 23, 2009
  4. The problem is not that Black Box trading has problems, but that there are not ENOUGH problems.

It's too reliable iyam. More failures please.

#14     Apr 24, 2009
  5. "Extension" of what you complain is why there's an edge to expose.

#15     Apr 24, 2009
  6. kanonka

kanonka

And warm wishes to you too :)

Just a small reminder to the monkey busy pressing buttons: all inventions were made by lazy people - cause they were too lazy to do the job that can be automated or performed with less efforts. Think about it.

#16     Apr 24, 2009
  7. Keep up the work Kanonka, you are out in front of the pack... unbelievable folk here on ET, they are everywhere really... one secret to life is that you can do ANYTHING YOU WANT but you have to not tell people about it.

I'm screen trading and every bit of what I do can be turned over to a computer. It might take 100-200 lines of C# code... screen trading is a lot better way to develop a strategy than backtesting imo...

#17     Apr 24, 2009
  8. Euler

Euler

I thought about it, and have come to the conclusion that you've got an interesting definition of "lazy", because apparently it includes living in your office round-the-clock so you can invent nonstop (e.g., Edison, amongst others).
    :D

But in all fairness, the number of things you tried makes it clear your not lazy, at least by most peoples' definition of the word.

#18     Apr 24, 2009
  9. kanonka

kanonka

Thanks, man!

Actually, just finished today with my ordering subsystem that deals with Ameritrade. So happy about that, cause it was my last day of free 500 trades :). If there is any live person monitoring trades, they are probably highly surprised with an idiot posting tens of orders with size of 1 share :D

I must tell you - it's a scare thing to test on live system with funded account!

By the way, during testing I found the way to screw up their system :eek: - when same position has one order with pending change from stop to market, and other new sell order. This deadlocks both orders until you cancel the latter.

Anyway, done with this part. Now back to switching data feed from (now dead) Opentick to Ameritrade. Plus I decided to go ahead and use IQFeed also - so this way I have two concurrent feeds, and if there are discrepancies, that'll be a signal to program to be careful :)

Jeez, at least one more month before going live... :mad:

Murphy's Law - everything takes longer and costs more. I started project Sep 2007, and was planning to be done March 2009. Now it looks like I'll be 3 months behind :mad:

By the way, I have 3 distinct logics for order placement in my program (depending on current market conditions), and idea for one of them I found here on ET. Person was applying it for futures, but when I adapted it for stocks, it became way better than original. I would not tell what post it was :), but thank you guys!

#19     Apr 24, 2009
  10. kanonka

kanonka

You know, I was lazy enough :D, so I forced program to find proper strategy itself. I manually added only one strategy - to check how things work (and it turned out to be relatively good - about 100% APY), but two other logics program found itself. Guess I'm too lazy :)

#20     Apr 24, 2009