some people think trading is like a warrior's quest

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dividend, Dec 20, 2005.

1. a book i read recently was 'sun tzu was a sissy'... i think some of u guys need to read that book.

#11     Dec 21, 2005
  2. newbunch

newbunch

The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is clear: To build and maintain those robots. Thank you.
    -- Military school Commandant's graduation address, "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson"

Along those lines, I built an automated trading system. My job is merely "To build and maintain those robots."

#12     Dec 21, 2005
  3. In the first part of your post, you say that "training" takes much effort and resolve. In contrast, you say that actual trading is reflexive and, apparently, effortless.

In the second part of your post, you conclude ("in another words") that "training" and trading are to be conducted in the same manner.

Can you see the inconsistency of your own post?

#13     Dec 21, 2005
  4. Hey Thunderdog:

Just a quick comment about this subject. I have learned recently that some folks dont like to think. It hurts their head. They like to speak. Problem is they don't really have that much to say, OR they are not knowledgeable about a subject but wish they were, and so what you get is "Bullshit"... Nice sounding bullshit, but bullshit nevertheless. If they took a moment to really think about the crap they post, well we wouldnt be talking about it now.

Check out some of these posts. You have folks who dont know shit but want to see their comments in print, and those who want to make a living off the newbies. Periodically you have a comment from someone who is doing the dance on a daily basis.

I was talking recently with Chris Terry at Linda Raschke's site. He said simply, "Don't waste your time with this" "Its not worth it"

I have come to see that he is right. I really don't need this, and unless I am mistaken, you don't either. Nobody does.

By the way... Warriors Quest? WTF....This is a business. You get up, you get dressed and you go to work. Either you do well and you make money or you don't and you lose it. You think guys who work on construction sites ask themselves it their job is a warrior's quest? What about subway workers, or dishwashers in a restaurant? Warriors quest? Gimme a break..:D

Steve

#14     Dec 21, 2005
  5. Steve,

Thanks for the post. Very true. But I get bored between setups, and I keep hoping that responding to such posters will help relieve some of the daily stress. Of course, more likely than not, it is only adding to it.

#15     Dec 21, 2005
  6. I walk on a treadmill and wait to hear an "audible alert" from my setup.

I prefer to watch the screen, so I only walk on the treadmill for about 10-20 minutes at a time. Works like a charm and keeps me from getting in (or out) of positions too soon.

Good luck
    Steve

#16     Dec 21, 2005
  7. i think money is part of the job but ur paid, just like any job, to provide a service... i mean, this is as a trader. an investor ur being paid dividends because u give up capital$$$ and hold the bag, so to speak... so the investor's job is to research the best vehicle to park his capital. for a trader i think his job is to discover the equilibrium price of the market...

point is, i think its disturbing from a psychologist's point of view to see some ppl enjoying the drama of the risks in the market. reminds me of roulette.

#17     Dec 21, 2005
  8. before mastery - chop wood, carry water
    after mastery - chop wood, carry water

#18     Dec 21, 2005
  9. Shazbatz

Shazbatz

Thats funny. My psychologist told me that trading was gambling. He then recomended Bob Brinkers market timer to me and said the long term is not gambling. That was my last visit :)

#19     Dec 21, 2005
  10. Hey Thunderdog:

This one's for you. The attached chart is an example of today's
    "Bond Bounce". This is one example. Doesn't always happen. Setup requires the right combo of bond price movement and previous price move in the indexes (either ES or Russell).

I am posting this because the last time I posted, our friend Coolwhip decided that it wasn't necessary to know any of this to trade profitable. I agree. Jesus might come down from heaven and tell you where to go long and where to exit. That works too.

Anyway, here is another example of a setup that works pretty well when the planets line up. Take it for what its worth. It is as old as the hills, and it ain't gonna change in the near future.

Good luck,
    Steve

Oh and Coolwhip, you go on looking at price. Get on down with your bad self "player".

Edit:

As I am following this one it is continuing to roll up. That doesn't happen very often, which is why I would be out with just 2 pts. In my experience, this is a scalp trade that usually gives you from 1 to 2 points (either Russell or ES points).

I don't want to get off subject here. My "warrior's quest" is to get 2 points on the bond bounce:D

#20     Dec 21, 2005